First time with algae. SLAM process seems scary, help needed

sunny_az

May 28, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I have mustard algae in the pool. First time ever dealing with algae. A few days ago I was putting in liquid chlorine but the levels kept reading zero. I discovered the CYA was between 125 - 140. Last night I was able to drain and refill half the pool so it's down to CYA 60. PH is 7.4

So... I'm now supposed to put in enough chlorine to get to FC = 24 ? Is that going to bleach the blue pebbletec? Is it best to add liquid chlorine? If so, do I just dump in 24 gallons and see what happens? Do I keep going back to the pool store to have them read the chlorine levels since the Taylor test kit doesn't go that high?

I am supposed to keep the pump running for 48 hours, but at what speed.

I am a little overwhelmed with the process. Tips appreciated.

(12,000 gallon pool)

So... I'm now supposed to put in enough chlorine to get to FC = 24 ? Is that going to bleach the blue pebbletec? Is it best to add liquid chlorine? If so, do I just dump in 24 gallons and see what happens? Do I keep going back to the pool store to have them read the chlorine levels since the Taylor test kit doesn't go that high?

I am supposed to keep the pump running for 48 hours, but at what speed.

I am a little overwhelmed with the process. Tips appreciated.
Welcome to TFP!!!

Slow down. Don't panic. Deeeeep Breath. One step at a time! Not hard, just do and we will help.

Yes, get it to 24. Will not harm people, pool or equipment. Yes, liquid chlorine.

DO NOT DROP IN 24 Gallons. 24ppm. Get pool math on your phone, you will need it. Use the "effects of adding" function, it will tell you how much to raise your FC to 24.

Link to poolmath. Link-->>PoolMath

Taylor test kit is REQUIRED for SLAM. What Taylor kit do you have? K-2005? K-2006. K-2006 is reliable to 50ppm. Do not go to the pool store for testing.

Keep the pump running 24/7.

Print this article out. Read it 3 times. Keep it in your back pocket for reference. Having hard copy really help. Link-->SLAM Process

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP!!!

Slow down. Don't panic. Deeeeep Breath. One step at a time! Not hard, just do and we will help.

Yes, get it to 24. Will not harm people, pool or equipment. Yes, liquid chlorine.

DO NOT DROP IN 24 Gallons. 24ppm. Get pool math on your phone, you will need it. Use the "effects of adding" function, it will tell you how much to raise your FC to 24.

Link to poolmath. Link-->>PoolMath

Taylor test kit is REQUIRED for SLAM. What Taylor kit do you have? K-2005? K-2006. K-2006 is reliable to 50ppm. Do not go to the pool store for testing.

Keep the pump running 24/7.

Print this article out. Read it 3 times. Keep it in your back pocket for reference. Having hard copy really help. Link-->SLAM Process

Season 1 Showtime GIF by The Chi
Taylor test kit K-2005. The top level is dark red but says 10 - 20. That's a big range.

In your pool you need about 3 gallons of 10% strength liquid chlorine to reach 24ppm .
PoolMath
It is safe for people, surfaces, & equipment for fc to be anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya
FC/CYA Levels
(for swimmer safety you should be able to see the bottom of the pool)

Taylor test kit K-2005. The top level is dark red but says 10 - 20. That's a big range.
It’s not 10-20. It’s 10 for chlorine and 20 for bromine. Not a range. :)

BUT like others have said you want to use FAS-DPD, not the comparitor block anyway.

You need to either get a good kit...Link-->Test Kits Compared

OR add the FAS-DPD test to your kit. It is accurate up to 50ppm.
Either a Taylor K1515C
or this:

You need one of these to properly SLAM
Okay I have a Taylor K1515 test kit arriving tomorrow. Question... should I be going right to level 24 on chlorine? I was reading more about the SLAM method which says that I need to SLAM normally first, and then go to a higher level for algae? Am I skipping a step by going straight to 24 ?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I have a Taylor K1515 test kit arriving tomorrow. Question... should I be going right to level 24 on chlorine? I was reading more about the SLAM method which says that I need to SLAM normally first, and then go to a higher level for algae? Am I skipping a step by going straight to 24 ?
You likely do not have mustard algae, it is fairly rare here. But, we get to the mustard part later.

With CYA 60, slam target is 24.

You likely do not have mustard algae, it is fairly rare here. But, we get to the mustard part later.

With CYA 60, slam target is 24.
The pool has some trees around it that cause shade on one side of the pool. We started noticing something on the bottom of the pool. At first we thought it was dirt, but when we brushed the "dirt" it didn't come off. Then we thought it was a shadow from the trees and maybe our eyes were playing tricks on us? The pattern of where the dark spots are is basically the same shape of the trees that make shade in the afternoon. So we couldn't tell if there was anything there or not.

We have an in ground cleaning system. We looked closer and noticed that the "shadow" was making a starburst pattern around the cleaning head that pops up. That's when we thought algae. It seems to be growing in the shady part, more or less where the trees create the afternoon shade. When we brush it with a wire brush it doesn't come off but it does create little clouds in the water. The water is not green at all. It is clear water. The patches of algae started only on the bottom, but then started growing up the walls and now there are a few small patches on the sunny side of the pool.

The picture does seem a little more green than in person. But we do have a blue pool and blue + yellow = green. Anyway, I don't know if that helps. The water is clear, my daughter wanted to swim as she didn't see a problem. To the casual observer, it just looks a little dirty on the bottom.

Attachments

• algae.JPG
    algae.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 21
Added 3 gallons of liquid chlorine last night. A few hours later, there were strong chlorine fumes coming off the pool so that I couldn't be next to the pool. Is that normal?
This morning I am at 14 FC and 14 TC. I know I need to add more chlorine to get up to 24. Do I add now, or wait until night time again?

Is that normal?
If you smell 'chlorine', that is chloramines. That is what is left over after chlorine has oxidized organic material, aka algae. It is burned off by sunlight hitting the surface of the pool.

Follow the SLAM Process. Test FC and add liquid chlorine back to SLAM level several times per day.

We are continuing to add liquid chlorine a few times daily and the pump is running 24/7. Will this hurt the pump to keep running it continuously for days?

It seems to be helping but we are not sure. We keep brushing the dark spots and usually a yellow powder comes up when we brush it. But there is a discoloration left behind that will not come off with brushing. Is that algae? Does algae leave behind a stain when it's gone?

Attachments

• algae 2.jpg
    algae 2.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 11
Pumps are made to run continuously. No worries.

Keep brushing!

Can leave stains. When you are done with slam, just keep an elevated FC level (top of recommended range or a bit higher) and it will LIKELY remove those organic stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.