First Time Using TF-Pro Salt - Some Grey Matter in Pool

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. My inexperience is showing haha.
So what you're saying is TFP works because you have no clue how to clear algae ?

You're saying that you're inexperienced but what I'm hearing is that TFP works.

Phew. That’s a lot of bleach! Any benefit to using bleach over liquid chlorine? From what I can tell they’re around the same price?

Got a chance to really scrub the pool this evening. Was gone all day so couldn’t really do anything for the SLAM. Going to pick up tomorrow and grab more chlorine.

Going to do an OCLT just to see if maybe I got lucky.

OCLT passed!

May 4 @ 9:16pm - FC 8 / CC 0
May 5 @ 5:43am - FC 8 / CC 0

Tested twice both times. Going to do another OCTL tonight for piece of mind.

Thank you for all your help (and especially your time)!

Reactions: Newdude
OCLT passed again!

May 5 @ 8pm - FC 4 / CC 0
May 6 @ 5am - FC 3 / CC 0

Turned my SWCG back on to 50%, which should add 4 FC a day. Probably back off 50% after monitoring the next few days.

Next up is knocking down pH.

Last edited:
OCLT passed again!

May 5 @ 8pm - FC 4 / CC 0
May 6 @ 5am - FC 3 / CC 0

Turned my SWCG back on to 50%, which should add 4 FC a day. Probably back off 50% after monitoring the next few days.

Next up is knocking down pH.
What is your CYA? FC of 3 is pretty low if you have a good CYA value, so I wouldn't celebrate yet.
Losing 1ppm overnight is also very close to still showing an issue. Did you pass all three exit criteria for SLAM?

Want to make sure you understand how algae gains a foothold and why the FC/CYA relationship is so important.
FC/CYA Levels
Your FC levels have been really inconsistent, especially for SLAM.

What is your CYA? FC of 3 is pretty low if you have a good CYA value, so I wouldn't celebrate yet.
Losing 1ppm overnight is also very close to still showing an issue. Did you pass all three exit criteria for SLAM?

Want to make sure you understand how algae gains a foothold and why the FC/CYA relationship is so important.
FC/CYA Levels
Your FC levels have been really inconsistent, especially for SLAM.

I agree with you. I haven't been sleeping well yet!

On Friday, CYA was 40. Should I test CYA again? My previous test was 50 and Leslie's also tested it as 50. My first test was too soon after opening.

I passed all three SLAM exit criteria on Sunday AM. My pool is spotless and sits in the sun. Nothing black, yellow or green that I can see (or in the skimmers)

What would account for the CYA loss? Rain?
I always like to think that holding SLAM a day or two more than needed is really good.

If there's nothing growing, the FC will not drop much at all, which just confirms you're in a really good place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What would account for the CYA loss? Rain?
I always like to think that holding SLAM a day or two more than needed is really good.

If there's nothing growing, the FC will not drop much at all, which just confirms you're in a really good place.
I don't think we've had enough rain to see CYA loss. I've found 'when the black dot disappears' to be slightly different depending on how much light there is. Sometimes I can't see it between numbers so I could take the higher or lower of the numbers. 40-50 over three tests seems evidence enough that it's in this range (at least to me).

I'm mentally (and financially, haha) prepared to have to SLAM again, if necessary. I'm going to closely monitor the next week or so. If FC drops any further there's an issue and I'll need to SLAM and be prepared to hold it for at least 2 days next time.

Reactions: reggiehammond
IMG_4995.jpeg

I am finding a lot of these in the pool each morning. By a lot I’m finding a dozen or so. Guessing from the surrounding trees / decaying fall leaves.

Last edited:
Water continues to look great. I have my SWCG (IC60) set to 50% and pump running 24 hours (2100rpm). pH still very high ... almost purple. Tackling this next. Here are my numbers as of this AM:

FC - 2.5
TA - 70
CYA - 40
pH - 8.2+
CH - 300
Salt - 3200
Temp - 64
CSI - 0.17
https://www.troublefreepool.com/att...=273696&hash=19fe14d60bb91eb96453b8a876ccaabf
PoolMath says I need to add a half gallon of MA (20 Baume). Guessing I'll need more. However, from reading other threads I should divide this up to smaller 1/4 additions spaced out every 4 hours? Do you guys just eye ball it or actually measure 1/4 into a separate container?

PoolMath says I need to add a half gallon of MA (20 Baume). Guessing I'll need more. However, from reading other threads I should divide this up to smaller 1/4 additions spaced out every 4 hours? Do you guys just eye ball it or actually measure 1/4 into a separate container?
First, get that FC up. Follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

on pH...Use the "effects of adding" in pool math to determine how much to add to lower pH by .4. Do it in .4 increments. Some of us eyeball it, some measure. Some measure until they get a feel for it, then convert to eyeball.

Reactions: Newdude
First, get that FC up. Follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

on pH...Use the "effects of adding" in pool math to determine how much to add to lower pH by .4. Do it in .4 increments. Some of us eyeball it, some measure. Some measure until they get a feel for it, then convert to eyeball.
Thank you. Learning a lot this year ... doing opening chemicals myself this time!

Will bump my FC up to 3-7 as outlined in FC/CYA Levels. It also says I should bump my CYA up from 40-60. Can I do FC, CYA and pH adjustments at the same time? Not literally, but in the same day a few hours apart?

THANKS !!!!

We're all volunteer here so it doesn't help us, per se. But keeping the lights on means none of us needs to find a new hobby. Imagine if my new hobby involved running???

icegif-524.gif

I run my mouth. I run out of money. But my chunky dunking rear end will NOT be running down the street.

tracy-morgan-smh.gif

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support