First time pool owner with some questions!

What is your post back-wash psi?
Around 9-11 PSI. It was 9 when I first started the pump 10 days ago. Now it only falls to 11 usually.

- - - Updated - - -

Just ran a test after I got home from being at work all day.
17.5 FC
2 CC
40 TA
50 CYA

That 50 CYA is a bit confusing, because I tested it a few days ago to 35 and I haven't added any more stabilizer. That obviously adjusts my shock numbers again. Is there something that could be causing that spike in CYA?

There's a +/- 15 variable in that CYA test, so it can be a bit frustrating. Best to test the first time, then pour back into the bottle, and go back & forth several times until you have a good average. That will help narrow down any testing variable. From there - yes, you may have to increase FC slightly if you determine your CYA truly is higher. Perhaps it just took some time to fully resister. It's good you checked though. At least you know what to do now.

I tested around CYA 35 again today, but I'm rounding that to 40 and keeping it at 16 ppm chlorine. I've been at or near shock level for 14 days. I use my leaf-eater. Then I brush. Then I test. Then I raise back to shock level every morning. I maintain through the day or compensate in the morning if I know I won't be home. If I'm not home it's usually still around shock level or .5 below when I get back. I raise back to shock and start again. I feel like my progress is plateauing. I'm getting little if any debris off the floor when I leaf eat. I do still notice a lot of milky-ness when I brush, and when I back wash I can see the filter is very brown/green. I've spent about 110 dollars on bleach. Another 24 on testing materials. Feeling a bit discouraged with my progress. I'll post a picture in a few.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Given that it is costing me roughly 5 dollars a day in electric to run the filter 24/7 and roughly 4 dollars a day to maintain bleach shock levels plus time....am I thinking unholy thoughts in considering floc? I know that is a no no for a lot of people around here, but I just worry with this much water and this much algae I'm going to be SLAMing for a full month. I know all the algae needs to be dead for a floc to really work, but I feel like it could help me see my problem areas.

That is up to you BUT like you said all of the algae needs to be dead.........IF you stop the SLAM now all of the progress you have made MAY be for nothing as you have to let the pump be off for a period of time so the stuff can settle SO that means no adding bleach.......

I am so sorry it is taking so long BUT it will get better AND you may never have to do this again with what you are learning here at TFP.

Kim

Just a little encouragement if you go look at my slamming process it took awhile. My pool was a green swamp like yours. It was a long process I believe it was like 20 something days but if you saw my pool now you would know it's worth it. I know it sucks thinking your dumping all this money into it but think about it this way if you go to a pool store they will sell you garbage you don't need that might clear the pool for a couple weeks but the algae WILL return. Trust me I know. I've been there until I found this website. I have been fighting the oak trees still and could have sworn after these past two weeks with all the rain and debris getting in my pool is have to slam again. I did an overnight test last night and I'm still not even dropping .5. I have been running my FC a little on the high side but that's bc of all the rain. Just keep up the process and I promise you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@curtis Yeah, I know the pool store isn't the way to go anymore. They came out and did their thing last July. While they got it clear and open within a week it was at a $350 price tag. They did give me an orientation on brushing the pool and some of using the filter, but it definitely wasn't worth it because they didn't push the necessity of constant testing and maintaining the pool. They wanted that job for themselves. Needless to say they won't be coming back out to my house. I know this is going to be a long process. I guess I just wish I could see an end in sight. I do take all the bubbling that's still happening as a good sign I guess. Something is happening.

Photo Mar 30, 11 25 44 AM.jpg
Two more days have passed. Stayed at or above shock levels both days. CYA still testing in the 30-40s. (I keep retesting because that one 50 test freaked me out) Brushed the walls and floor today with my new handy dandy brush that has a vacuum attachment on it. Maybe that'll help get some of the algae out instead of having it float around in the pool. Does it seem bluer today or am I crazy?

CCI03302016_00000.jpg
I found this receipt from my experience with a local pool store. The pool was in a similar shape to what we started with this time around. Obviously I'm glad I'm not spending 350 dollars this time around but I am wondering if there is more to my problem than SLAM can fix. Namely I noticed the mustard algae treatment last time. Is that something I should be concerned about? Keep in mind I'm in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and I've read mustard algae can be a problem in southern states. Just curious. Thanks as always.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.