First time pool owner with some questions!

I SO understand the panic! Mine was when I found water pooling OUTSIDE the edge of the pool............where is that coming from? The ONLY place could be the pool. Of course it ended up being a pinprick hold a ways from where the water was coming out!

I am glad to see that progress. Make sure to take a pic each day so you can see the progress. Some day you will not notice it with you eyes but if you have a picture of the same spot you will be able to see it in the pics.

Kim

Please please keep the pics coming....Every day or every 2 days....This will be a fun one to follow.

Follow the advice here and you will have sparkling water in.......I'm guessing based on how green/black your water was......7 days.... :)

Keep track of how much bleach you used. People in your same situation that come upon this post like to see numbers and pics.......

Ex. Black pool, then green pool, then barely seeing the bottom, then clear pool, then sparkling pool......Only took 7 days and 46 gallons of bleach. Cost $105.

Thats super helpful for new people that come to the site looking for help.

You're doing great!!!!

It is amazing to watch :) when I had my swamp, I was amazed at going from black water to crystal clear water. From my learnings on here during that time, I took that time to trim trees, level the ground etc... So trust me, it will happen!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be sure to take a picture when I get home this afternoon. I tested before I left and I only lost 2ppm overnight, but still very green. Yesterday during the daylight hours I lost around 4ppm so the war is still waging. I was right at 12ppm when I left for work so I added about 64oz 8.25% bleach. I hope that'll get it through until I get home. It's raining and overcast today so I hope the sun won't drain my chlorine. I'm looking forward to crystal clear waters!

On a side note and some sad news : The bag for my leaf eater is in the bottom of my pool now, and I can't see it. :(

My CYA is higher than I anticipated it would be. I added 90oz solid stabilizer and am around 35-40. I'm adjusting my shock levels. This is disappointing. I failed to test cya after the addition of stabilizer because I knew it would take a while to show up. I've been below shock level :( need more bleach. Hahaha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are "testing" how fast the CYA will show up on the tests BUT as soon as you add ?? amount to get to ?? level of CYA THAT is what you use for your FC levels.

You got this and it will get better faster now! :( on the bag. You will find it soon.

Kim

First thing I noticed this morning was the hum of my pump. I could tell the pressure was up. It was indeed by 6psi so I did a filter clean and backwash. Got the leaf eater out to get some more off the bottom (this is an ongoing problem because I can't see the bottom). Then tested FC and added chlorine to start my day. Scrubbed the walls and the floor (I find that cathartic). Now just waiting and testing. Day one of two off work is off the a great start. Wish me luck! And check out my signature!

Actually, your pump should make very little noise change regardless of pressure.....but you can deal with that later. Sounds like you are keeping your FC up as required and the brushing, filter cleaning, etc. is all good stuff. The condition of your pool will change a little each day.....always a bit clearer.

IMG_5985.jpg
Here's a picture from yesterday! Lots of bubbling and I'm keeping chlorine around 16-18 ppm. CYA is 35. I wish I was seeing results more quickly. When is the right time to think about adding diatomaceous earth to the filter? I'm worried it's not doing it's job very efficiently, and saw in pool school that you can add a small amount of DE to sand filters to increase their efficiency. The reason I worry about some of my equipment is I bought the house in July of 15, but it had sat unoccupied for a few years. Any hints as to testing my filter and keeping my equipment up and running as long as possible would be super helpful.

If you have been running your pump/filter for 10 days and keeping FC at or near SLAM levels I'm going to guess something is wrong with the filter. It might not be a bad idea to take it apart and look at the sand. I've been down this road before.

Other thoughts
- Are we relatively sure there is very little scoopable stuff on the bottom?
- Are you relatively certain you are testing the FC/CC correctly?
- How is the flow from the returns?
- How quickly does your pressure rise?

BUT look at the color difference! It went from pea green to army green! THAT is GREAT progress.......army green is closer to blue..........so very much in the right direction.

You need to wait to add DE until it is blue but cloudy. Right now you are really just killing the algae. The DE will help you clear the dead algae so......not there yet.

Kim

- Are we relatively sure there is very little scoopable stuff on the bottom? Relatively is the best word. I can't see down there but I've been scooping, brushing, and leaf eating and i'm not getting very much debris anymore.

- Are you relatively certain you are testing the FC/CC correctly? Yes, I'm doing what the TF-100 says I believe. 10ml of water with one scoop of pink powder. swirl and each drop of reagent is .5 ppm chlorine.

- How is the flow from the returns? Returns flow pretty strong. No different than I noticed previously
- How quickly does your pressure rise? Pressure rises about 2 or 3 psi every 6 hours. Maybe less. I backwash once a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.