First time pool owner, southeast AL

blitzboy76

Sep 14, 2023
Midland City, AL
Hey everyone, glad to make your acquaintances. So yeah, as the title states, we just had our very first "real" pool installed, about a month ago, down here in southeast AL. Unfortunately, it didn't quite make it in time for the hottest part of summer, but I am hoping that we might still get a little bit more time out of yet, before it just gets too cool down here, as I have a heater/cooler system installed with it.

So far, I have really enjoyed sort of digging into all of the chemistry aspects of being a pool owner, and sometimes I think I've about got a handle on it, and then other times I feel like I am starting all over again! OK, so I know that trichlor tabs = evil, but that is what I have been exclusively using, thus far. Now I know that I want to keep those CYA levels at bay, so after having been through one full container of those tabs, I want to switch over to the unstabilized chlorine. I feel sort of "intimidated" by making the switch, though, if that makes sense? Well, so far I have read that like liquid chlorine is hard to find in the stores, etc., that I will have to pour in like a gallon every day, etc. I know that I will just have to find a routine that works for me, but I still feel like there is just so much more to know, so that I don't mess it all up!

Another thing that I need to mention is that I have one of these UV/ozone generator deals, which is supposed to eliminate the need for as much chlorine, but so far I cannot tell that it really does...anything? I've heard some people say that yes it works, and some have said that it doesn't, etc. I have had to add about 4 of those tablets about every 3-4 days or so, in order to keep FC levels at like 2-3, but it generally stays pretty consistently at around those levels. I have the Taylor K-1005 (I know, it doesn't have the FAS-DPD test, but my reasoning at the time I bought it was that it said that it was geared more towards the homeowner, whereas the K-2006c was more for commercial pros), and with that kit I have found it difficult to really tell where my CYA levels are. 2 out of 3 times, I have measured at or below 30, according to the test, so I am not sure if some of the other testing kits measure CYA more reliably or what. The pool has always been really clear and sparkly, so far, albeit with some dirt that keeps getting in because I have no yet resided around the pool just yet.

So, basically where I am at is that I am now considering my switch from the trichlor tablets to liquid chlorine but am a bit intimidated by the switch and am wondering if I am going to have to take out a home equity line of credit, and buy liquid chlorine by the forklift load once a week from my local store--Pinch-a-Penny! The guy there made it sound like it was like impossible to switch for some reason. Instead, he wound up selling me some shock, which I have on standby (in granular) form, for whenever I need to shock it. Anyway, I can't remember exactly what all he said but basically "blah blah blah...you'll need to keep on buying the trichlor tablets unless you want to do this, and...blah blah blah..."! lol. Sorry, I was just in the midst of feeling bummed, because I had assumed (hoped?) that it was going to be an easy process to switch, but it seemed like he was telling me that it would not be.

Pleased to meet you all, and I hope to learn a lot from the site!

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

Your instinct is correct, yes, switch to liquid chlorine. The powdered shock also includes CYA so return it or tuck it away somewhere. It keeps fine (just keep it dry) and there may be uses for it to replenish CYA next year.

Within a year or two we'll have talked you into a salt water chlorinator, but that can wait. You can turn the ozone or UV apparatus off to save electricity.

It sounds like you've done some of the reading here, keep going on that. You're right; the K-2005 will not cut it. The K-2006C is fine as is the TF100. Here's a comparison chart of suitable test kits: Test Kits Compared

Work your way through the links on this page: Pool Care Basics

Also add a signature with pool size. Create Your Signature - Further Reading

Now for some good news... as the weather cools, swimming reduces and the sun drops in the sky, so you will be using less chlorine per day as that happens.

And congratulations on the new swimming pool!

Welcome to TFP! Like you, I'm a new pool owner and I'm just a few hours northwest. Being a new pool owner / operator, I don't make a habit of dishing out advice because there are far more knowledgeable people around here than me. But, just this once, I'll make an exception. My advice? Don't fight it.

When you can, purchase the TF-Pro testing kit with the magnetic stirrer. The stirrer isn't absolutely necessary but all that you have to do is run a test one time without it, and you'll wish you included it. Download and print out the testing instructions. I keep mine in a binder, but rarely reference the instructions because it's become routine, now. Run your first test and post the results here. From there, you just sit back and read exactly what you'll need to do to bring everything in range. (Of course Pool Math will do all of that for you too, but these fine people are always here and always willing to help).

My pool was installed in July / August of 2022 (this is the first pool I've ever owned or operated). I have never set foot into a pool store, or called a pool maintenance company. I've never shocked / slammed the water because my water is always crystal clear. I've already learned the tendencies of my water to the degree that I test about every two weeks, at this point. It's all right here - all that you'll need - well, other than some liquid chlorine, CYA, baking soda or acid. Everything that I've needed for this pool, I purchased at either Lowes or Publix.

The SWG is a conversation for another day. You'll want to migrate to that when you can. I've probably gone through about 4 gallons of liquid chlorine in the past year. And most of that was used over the winter because I didn't close down my pool (and the SWG won't generate chlorine with low water temperatures). Just get the test kit for now, and the rest will become evident.

Best of luck to you, my friend.

Reactions: needsajet
Hey Blitz and Welcome !!!!

Another thing that I need to mention is that I have one of these UV/ozone generator deals, which is supposed to eliminate the need for as much chlorine
Unless it deploys a tent over the pool, a properly balanced residential pool's main battle is UV loss from the sun. You won't have the ridiculous bather load of a public pool which benefits from the commercial grade devices installed, where yours falls short again.

But. If that's the worst you got taken on your build, you did good. :) Read up and ask away anytime.

Reactions: needsajet
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your replies! So, is this the stuff I want, in order to switch to liquid chlorine? Pinch A Penny is my pool store option, as I mentioned, but they call this stuff “shock”. Is this what I need, though, just to chlorinate on a regular basis? I apologize in advance if links to external sites aren’t allowed here or something, but just wanted to make sure I am looking at the right stuff.

I know that Lowe’s also has some chlorine as well, but I think theirs is only something like 10%, whereas PaP advertises theirs as something like 12.5%.

Follow-up question: how do I know when it is time to add, and how much? Test, I guess, and if I am down, say, in the 1 ppm range, and I know I need to be 2-4, then I use the pool math calculator to see how much to add, after I test it? Thanks in advance, again.

That chlorine should be fine.

how do I know when it is time to add, and how much?
Remember the key is to always have an FC level in the ideal range based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Once you know your ideal FC range/level, it's simply a matter if keeping it there from day-to-day. When I was using liquid, my pool FC level typically dropped about 2-3 ppm per day. So I knew each evening I had to add that same amount back. Hope that helps.

Assuming 12.5% chlorine, adding 1 gallon will add 6.7 ppm FC to your pool, so your need is quite possibly around 1.5 to 2 quarts per day. May be less now that the season is waning, but what I just typed out is kinda useless guesswork because you need to find your CYA level as Pat mentions above, and then target the range of FC for that level of CYA.

It's simple, inexpensive, reliable and the least amount of work, once you're comfortable with the principles and methods. You'll need a suitable test kit to take advantage of trouble-free-pool-care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.