First time pool owner - So excited but a little overwhelmed!

Feb 24, 2024
Henderson Nevada (Las Vegas)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Guys!!!

My first ever post here after spending hours and hours going in circles on here, you tube, at Leslies (eek!) etc etc. I'm so sorry if the below information is a lot and mods please tell me if I need to split this up?

Here is my new situation. Just bought my first house with a pool, so I have very little experience and am working my way slowly along the steep, intimidating learning curve, but I am so so very excited to be a pool owner (I'm English, so its even more of a big deal bucket list thing!!) I’m in Henderson Nevada (Las Vegas). Its an In- ground pretty small pool, I think about 6500 gallons from a rough measure size and depths not sure as its not a regular shape. House was built in year 2000 but not sure if pool same time. I do almost all DIY house projects both here in UK, Im pretty handy and have been building houses since age 19 years and totally happy with UK/USA electrics soldering plumbing, bonding waste pipe etc so am wanting to tackle everything myself if possible on the pool and keen to learn new skills.

My Equipment list:-

Pentair CCP320 filter with Unicel 7470 cartridges, both housing and cartridges, looks old and makes me itch!

Pool is century pump model CET38ABM/K48AA27A79, SERIAL 29819J2 2.20HP, 9.7AMP,3450RPM motor with waterway pump - pump was new in AUGUST 2021

Single skimmer with basket and flap and two threaded holes in bottom (only one seems to have suction?)

Auto-filler in a skimmer type housing - toilet type gray and black showing “Fluidmaster” logo but unsure yet if it’s a H Depot toilet one or Pentair one and again unsure of age (think its a toilet one as has the black overflow tube).

Plumbing from end of pump goes to T valve - one side goes to another t valve with option of “skimmer/cleaner” (currently set to skimmer) other side shows “main drain”

Plumbing from top of pump goes to filter

Outlet on side of filter is marked “return” which then tees to valve which says “pool” one side and “water feature” on other side ( theres a wet seat with two pipes in wall far side of pool which Im guessing are like massage jets for the seat? Valve currently set to “pool” way so not tried that yet) the valve at first junction is set at 10 o clock towards the skimmer/cleaner valve

Drain at bottom of filter is a one and half inch about 18 inches long pipe to a butterfly valve that has brittle sticky handle and needs changing – Seen on forum the CCP320s have a poor access drain plug so guess this had been done to modify that?

Theres a similar white pvc pipe vertically out of ground/gravel far side of pool with two 90 bends on so looks like a walking stick if that makes sense? Not sure what that does yet?

Fiberstars single light in pool wall with tower adjacent

Pool has a floater with a 3 inch chlorine tablet in when got house.

Two plastic ducks on the pool – I’m guessing these to deter other ducks?

Intermatic t100 type timer for pump. One breaker for pump, one for light. One for gcfi outlet on side of breaker box housing

What I have done so far, right or wrong!!! (not moved in yet due to fixing up current house to sell but go to house/pool twice a week at least)

Took sample of water to Leslies, bought 2 gallon muriatic acid, power plus granules etc and did what their sheet said to do. (sorry!) Still getting to grips with the chemistry. Bought a simple Clorox tester and it seemed to collaborate with what they telling me so far. I will get the larger better kit suggested on here.

Bought a couple hundred clorex 3 inch chlorine tablets and put one in a week (wrong!) after reading this forum got the Walmart liquid chlorine and stopped using the tabs!

Bought a Zodiac G3 cleaner and got it working couple of days ago (better than watching TV!!!) on skimmer connection as discovered I need a Hayward vac lock fitting for my suction pipe on side of pool. Got the G3 working good after problems holding up on bottom drains but would like it to climb the three steps if possible. I want to get it piped to dedicated suction as figured better to have skimmer and vac working same time? so ordered genuine Hayward vac lock on ebay for $10 as they wanted $51 in Leslies!!!

Changed the pump running times with adding more Intermatic triggers on dial so pump currently runs midnight to 3 am and 9am till noon. Not worked out yet whether NV energy is cheaper at night? I read I need to change the times as the weather heats up so its on in the daytime more.

Discovered that the olive trees hanging over the pool are a nuisance with the olives marking bottom of pool with brown stains ( before G3 fitted) so in process of cutting them all down and getting rid of other shedding plants in garden replacing with cacti and have bought an “erase-it” pummy stone looking thing that attaches to pole to supposedly rub these away? (Leslies advice – is that advisable to use?) Home inspection report said “pool walls appear to have been acid washed”

I cleaned the CCP320 Unicel filters thoroughly which brought the pressure down from 20 to 15 but decided to get new filters. When I fitted the G3 few days ago the flow gauge with it wasn’t registering at all so I installed the new cartridge filters and it went instantly to “3” which is apparently perfect! The ccp320 filter gauge also went down from 15 to 8 so think the new filters were well needed set the gauge marker to 8 and will re-clean at 18. Bought new USA made Optimum brand filter which seem to have good reviews for price and lots of sale and were $150 for 4, wanted the Pleatco Advanced Ultra but could only find them at Leslies and they wanted $400!!! Ive bought a new o-ring/magic lube for the filter halves and a new air valve and pressure gauge but I like to change/install parts methodically one item at a time and test for a while so I don’t get confused if theres an issue as to which part is causing it. Ive noticed the top of the white air tube in filter is broken off and Im missing the spring, black spring holder and the metal mesh filter which I need to replace but was told at Leslies these aren’t that important??? Gonna replace anyway if can find decent price.

Fiberstars light tower, I got working by changing the bulb and cleaning the color wheel, making good the wiring but looks like some of the fiber strand ends are burnt black so sometime may recut but the lights working decent for now and love the effect.

Ive obviously been cleaning the filter, skimmer and pump baskets and have gotten the pool pretty clear and clean now. Bought a pole/net/rubber brush and cleaned the pool bottom/walls/steps twice a week. The return jets on pool walls were old and broken so just got new ones and will fit and point them down and out 45 degrees as directed by the g3 instructions.

Water level is half way up the tiles which Im told is correct but I would like to change the auto-filler as preventative maintenance

Phew – that’s a lot of information, my apologies.

I have lots of plans but really want to get the basics right first and get my head around the chemistry. Changing the pump to variable is something would like to do soon

I would love to know if you think I am on the right path and have done at least some things to better the set up, any suggestions what I need to do and any advice, comments or criticisms whatsoever would be most gladly received. As I said I’m so excited to have become a pool owner even though Ive not even been in it yet and might not get to use it as much as I like!!!

Any local Henderson/Las Vegas pool owners who would welcome a Tea, Beer or Coffee (on me of course!) and a chat would be even better…..

Thanks so much for your time and interest and I really appreciate all the information Ive found on here so far.

Ive added a few photos to make up for my lack of knowledge!!!

Pete :cool:
pool.pngIMG_9262.JPGIMG_9260.JPGIMG_9259.JPGIMG_9258.JPGIMG_9256.JPGIMG_9254.JPGIMG_9251.JPGIMG_9250.JPGIMG_9249.JPG

Pete, welcome.
Long post and don't have time to answer all. Firstly get yourself a TF-100pro test kit from tftestkits.net because I'm sure you'll want to take this pool to the next level which is the salt water generator (SWCG) way and the kit has everything you will need. Hard to see the water but I'll bet there's algae in the greenish water from the previous owners chlorine tab use. In due time the members will chime in ...... here are some links which are key to everything on this forum
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
SLAM Process
Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP.

When you get your test kit post your water chemistry here in the format…

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Then we can decide what you need to do with your water chemistry.

Have you downloaded PoolMath?

Welcome to TFP.

When you get your test kit post your water chemistry here in the format…

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temperature

Then we can decide what you need to do with your water chemistry.

Have you downloaded PoolMath?
Thanks for the reply,

Its going to be September before I even get to go in the pool and going to be abroad for a while so keen to do the best I can to renew any suspect parts before then to try to prevent any disasters. Im keen to get the chemistry correct of course, but its going to be out of my hands for a while with hopefully a pool guy so just trying to fit/add/adjust/ replacew/refurb and renew stuff as soon as I can.

Hence the wanting to renew seals, replace valves, add G3 etc

Not got the Pool math app but its on my list

Pete

Ok, so windy today therefore leaves everywhere on surface. Thinking both the G3 on dedicated suction line and the skimmer working will be a better solution? Just waiting for the vac-lock fitting to arrive. G3 seems to have removed the staining from the olive fruits dropping I mentioned without having to use the pummy stone device I bought, or maybe it was the 3/4 gallon of liquid chlorine we added after the simple test kit showed no very low chlorine and very high pH? I seem to have no chlorine or far too much!

Todays readings :

FC 7.32
CC - 7.32
pH 8.3
TA 107
CH 450
CYA 143
iron 0.1
copper 0.2
phosphates 400
TDS 1600
Water temperature - forgot to check but ambient was around 70F

Thanks again in advance for your help

Pete

Last edited:
Ignore this entirely. It's a junk stat. The answer of TDS = 1600 means nothing without listing all the parts above. If we'd like to add them, we can. But adding them does nothing useful, so we won't. :)

phosphates 400
Ignore this entirely. I liken phosphates to all the cans of dogfood at Petco. BuT iTs DoGfOoD !!!!!! So what ? It's never produced a dog, and they can't get to it in the cans on the shelf. When the pool store says phosphates are algae food, think of Petco and chuckle to yourself because openly laughing at them would be rude. Keep your FC inhospitable and algae won't grow, no matter the food available.

iron 0.1
copper 0.2
Their test variance (per them) is +/- .3 at .3, which is the accepted threshold where staining is more likely. At either of your results, you could have 0, or likely staining at .4 and .5. :roll: (Ignore them #3)

FC 7.32
CC - 7.32
pH 8.3
TA 107
CH 450
CYA 143
The paper these came on is single ply TP. Let us know when your kit comes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.