Silver Supporter
May 3, 2023
South Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi guys, I am new to all of this and a new pool owner. we got this pool so my mom can get in and do some basic water exercise to help maintain her balance and continue to live alone ( she’s 80 yrs old). My pool is 18x48 intex prism pool above ground and I have had problems since day 1 which is now 3 weeks. When we first put the water in the next day i immediately notice algae problem I believe this was due to the pool being stored in her barn in the box for a year and we live in south Louisiana with 100% humidity and hot. So I shocked the pool still algae we then doubled shocked the pool I also took all the hoses from the pump and soaked them in bleach have scrubbed walls and floors and vacuumed everyday. My next issues was very high ph and alkaline levels along with very high total chlorine and free chlorine my only low level was the stabilizer. I have since gotten my PH and Alkaline levels within normal range but chlorine levels are still high stabilizer still low. My water has been cloudy since day one. The pump and filter that came with the pool is a joke I believe I need to upgrade to a better one I just don’t know what I need to upgrade to as I don’t want to get one that’s to powerful and won’t do the job but this one just isn’t working and I have been running the pump 24 hrs a day since put up. I have even let about a third of water out and added fresh water both chlorine levels are still high and water still cloudy. Being new to this pool owner stuff I am clueless in just about all areas. As for vacuuming pool this pool did not come with any type of vacuum system so I had to get a hand held rechargeable one which only puts stuff back into water ( I‘m thinking I am putting dead algae back into water this is frustrating. Would like a pump system I can attach a vacuum to any suggestions on this is needed also. So here I am basically with a pool that I am having to learn the ins and outs while my mom children and grandchildren only care about when can we swim. In south Louisiana it’s hot enough to swim in early April here. Today my water is still cloudy all levels are off except the ph and alkaline and I am at a loss as to what my next step should be. I did consult a local pool store about 2 weeks ago been adding algacide every other day as instructed and all this does is clog my cartridge so bad I have to change every day. Eventually I’ll be a pro at this for now I’m so dumb I need some direction and help. And I will mention this we live in the country and I do cover pool every night and uncover in the day. Also the pool has no skimmer which I think is a must should I add a skimmer and if so how. Like I said this was thrown on me, I never thought I would own a pool much less have to maintain it. I’m sure it will get easier but for now I am clueless any help,would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have the pool swim ready before summer ends and at my rate it looks really dim.

Good afternoon. Going through your post it appears you have been following pool store advice and/or testing. Perhaps test strips? Both will fail you. Algaecides won't kill algae. No amount of filtration will kill algae. It all boils-down to accurate water testing, and to do that you need either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100 that's linked in my signature. With a full set of accurate test results from one of those kits, you can be assured to receive accurate/helpful advice here with productive results. At that point you can then begin a SLAM Process to kill & remove algae once and for all.

Also be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics which is a great resource for pool issues. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Good afternoon. Going through your post it appears you have been following pool store advice and/or testing. Perhaps test strips? Both will fail you. Algaecides won't kill algae. No amount of filtration will kill algae. It all boils-down to accurate water testing, and to do that you need either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100 that's linked in my signature. With a full set of accurate test results from one of those kits, you can be assured to receive accurate/helpful advice here with productive results. At that point you can then begin a SLAM Process to kill & remove algae once and for all.

Also be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics which is a great resource for pool issues. If you have any questions, please let us know.
Thanks I will get the TF-00 test kit today if can’t get local I will order online.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Also note that while the pool water may not be clear, if you can see the bottom, you can swim in it.
although I can somewhat see the bottom, that is when it’s full sun I can see bottom of pool ok until I vacuum which only stirs up the stuff on bottom. It is slowly and i mean slowly getting clearer but still mostly cloudy, I still think I need a better filter and pump than the one that came with the pool I’m just not sure what to upgrade to also not sure do I stay with cartridge filter or get a sand filter? I should also note that the kids did swim one time and broke out in a red itchy rash from head to toe so I won’t let anyone swim until this is all corrected.

will get the TF-00 test kit today if can’t get local I will order online
It's only at TFtestkits.net. (y) I highly recommend the TFpro that comes with a $48 stirring device. Watch a video of hand swirling and one if the smart stir. You want one.

the kids did swim one time and broke out in a red itchy rash from head to toe so I won’t let anyone swim until this is all corrected.
Once you have a test kit and we are on the same page (it's like we are standing there with you when we both have the same test kit), we'll tell you where to be so it's sanitary. The ickies like swimmers rash are neutralized very quickly if not immediately. Algae takes a long time to filter out, but is harmless.

Hi I ordered the TF-100 yesterday my question is there anything I should be or need to be doing while I’m waiting for the test kit to come in other than scrubbing and vacuuming daily? Also I do think this pump/filter that came with th pool isn’t circulating the water real good, but that’s just me as it doesn’t look like the water is moving around much and like I said I am new to this it could be ok was just wandering. Thanks

Reactions: Texas Splash
Update on my pool. My test kit is due to arrive sometime today ( can’t wait family driving me crazy). Today i did let them swim as I can see the bottom of pool much much better now but still not clear as it should be. As soon as I get the kit I will read over instructions and post my levels and hopefully y’all can guide me as to what my next step is to get pool crystal clear. One of these days hopefully I will be able to help someone out by what I am learning thru this site. So glad I came across it.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi guys, well finally after two weeks, lost test kit in mail I finally received test kit….then family emergency which postponed testing even longer. I have been brushing walls, vacuuming and adding liquid chlorine daily and my water is really clear considering almost all numbers are out of range. Here’s what I have.
FC. .5
CC. .05
TC. 10
CH. 150
TA. 210
CYA. 60

not sure what my next step should be, should I do a SLAM or concentrate on bringing down CYA and TA? Any suggestions will be much appricated.

should I do a SLAM or concentrate on bringing down CYA
Up to you. A 60 is manageable compared to 90+, but draining half of it would cut the battle in half after refilling. And it would save a considerable amount of chlorine two ways. 1 ) half the battle. 2 ) half the target FC during that half battle, 12 vs 24.

The TA will take time to lower and that's the last thing that gets worked on.

After draining some water, then major rain storm I finished adding water today here are my latest test results. I don’t want to sound to dumb but this is all still new to me so I am not sure what my next step should be. I added results in the pool math app but with several out of range not sure what I should tackle first.
F.C. 6.5
C.C. .5
T.C. 7
P.H. 8.2
T.A. 240
CYA. 50

Any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Looking back we were waiting on this kit to begin the SLAM Process. So, now your can do the following:
1- Lower the pH to 7.2
2- Increase the FC to 20 which is your slam level.

From there, do your best to maintain it and follow everything on the SLAM page. Good luck!

Reactions: Newdude
I don’t want to sound to dumb but this is all still new to me so I am not sure what my next step should be. I
It would only be dumb if you forged ahead unsure of what/why you were doing. You have us now, and we're happy to assist.

+1 to everything Pat said as I was typing myself. :ROFLMAO:

Looking back we were waiting on this kit to begin the SLAM Process. So, now your can do the following:
1- Lower the pH to 7.2
2- Increase the FC to 20 which is your slam level.

From there, do your best to maintain it and follow everything on the SLAM page. Good luck!
Sure will I will have to get more chlorine before I start to make sure I have enough on hand while doing SLAM will get tonight and start process tomorrow. Also what should I use to lower ph? I’ll pick that up today also

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.