First time opening

Question about calcium hardness. I've never tested it. Read some posts on here, most agree vinyl liner pools don't matter. However, does hard water affect it? (we have hard water.) And what is a target range? Should I test, and adjust if needed?

If you have a vinyl pool, and don't have a heater, CH is not necessary.

In VERY rare circumstances, vinyl pools can scale. Post a full set of results, FF, CC, TA, CH, CYA.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Just vacummed for the first time this year. Had a skimmer sock on the basket. near the end of vacuuming, I heard a few strange sounds from the skimmer.
I finished, shut off the pump to remove vacuum plate and clean out skimmer basket. The sock had gone thru the plastic basket in a few places, split the plastic. That normal?
Now I gotta get a new skimmer basket (or do I?)

Yes that’s normal when a skimmer sock gets loaded down .
I have to be careful when using them normally or this will happen.
I keep spare baskets on hand for this reason. Mine will break if they are loaded down at all. To prevent further issues I always turn the pump off before trying to remove it if there’s much in there.
I have never attempted to use a skimmer sock when manually vacuuming but then again I have only rarely manually vacuumed in several years.

Yes that’s normal when a skimmer sock gets loaded down .
I have to be careful when using them normally or this will happen.
I keep spare baskets on hand for this reason. Mine will break if they are loaded down at all. To prevent further issues I always turn the pump off before trying to remove it if there’s much in there.
I have never attempted to use a skimmer sock when manually vacuuming but then again I have only rarely manually vacuumed in several years.
Don't understand the physics of why a sock would bust thru the plastic, but at least I know it can happen. I did shut the pump off before cleaning the basket. I used the sock to vacuum to keep all the fine particles from going into the pump.

Don't understand the physics of why a sock would bust thru the plastic, but at least I know it can happen. I did shut the pump off before cleaning the basket. I used the sock to vacuum to keep all the fine particles from going into the pump.
It gets sucked through all the little holes all at once & then it’s too much pressure so it cracks. I have a hydrotools skimmer & I swear my basket breaks if you look at it wrong 😑

So we are just starting to swim, hopefully that'll aerate and decrease TA. But my PH has been staying high, as expected, so I've been trying to bring it down over and over, hoping it'll help the TA.
Question: adding all this muriatic every few days, is there a danger point the water can get to? The muriatic concentration must be accumulating; are we safe?

So long as ph remains in the 7’s you’re fine & your water isn’t too acidic.
To make sure you’re understanding, aeration raises ph without raising ta so you can then lower them both with acid.
Aeration doesn’t lower ta.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So long as ph remains in the 7’s you’re fine & your water isn’t too acidic.
To make sure you’re understanding, aeration raises ph without raising ta so you can then lower them both with acid.
Aeration doesn’t lower ta.
Ahh, I was mixed up. I thought aeration lowers TA. I just read an article on here that cleared me up.
All the acid I've been adding should have helped lower TA a bit (gonna test this morning.) My PH goes back up by itself, so no aeration needed yet.
Once my TA is in target range, then my PH may not go back up by itself? Then I'll aerate. (or add Borax?)

As the ta lowers the ph rise slows - it may not stop.
My sweet spot for my pool is ta of 60/70 then my ph stays the same for the whole season usually. This is not the case for everyone, Depends on your fill water ta & ph.

Aim for high target 🎯 so you don’t play kissy face 😘 with minimum anymore
View attachment 508286
I usually always shoot for high. This time I had been estimating my daily FC loss, and adding based on the usual amount of chlorine to raise it one ppm. Too much guessing, more testing.
Usually also like to raise my CYA higher so that it doesn't drop below ideal, and allows me to target a bit higher chlorine levels.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I usually always shoot for high. This time I had been estimating my daily FC loss, and adding based on the usual amount of chlorine to raise it one ppm. Too much guessing, more testing.
Usually also like to raise my CYA higher so that it doesn't drop below ideal, and allows me to target a bit higher chlorine levels.
Its heating up now - 1ppm/day is more like shoulder season losses. The average is 2-5 ppm/day depending upon uv/season.
Time for MO BLEACH!
Nicksplat Bleach GIF by NickRewind

Reactions: Newdude
Question on pool pipes. The pic to the left shows I have flex PVC pipe I guess. People and articles have said sunlight will eventually break them down, that makes sense.
I have a deck now (pic attached), but rather than Mcgyver up some sort of shade contraption, has anyone ever wrapped the pipes? I read that you can paint them, seems like a weak level of protection.
If shade is the best, I'll have to think a bit. Pic of pool as it is now is attached.
Pool equipment is on the north side, so sun doesn't hit it direct until maybe noon.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    662.3 KB · Views: 3
I am picturing a little lattice fence between the steps & the pool that blocks off the equipment area which would provide a bit of shade as well but I see already have some sort of fencing going on?

I am picturing a little lattice fence between the steps & the pool that blocks off the equipment area which would provide a bit of shade as well but I see already have some sort of fencing going on?
No, the wire fencing you see is in my yard, I had to take the pic thru it. I was thinking of attaching something to the left front deck post, that would stick out a bit above the equipment and provide shade; maybe a couple pieces of wood with lattice on top; like a lean-to, only attached to the deck.
But I'll look into the paint or wrap idea a bit more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.