First time opening

Do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test at target fc levels anyway before proceeding with life as usual-
then if you need to slam it will be quick & If you pass you’ll have peace of mind going forward.
Don’t add anything to increase ph. Adding Baking soda will increase your ta.
Ph will eventually rise with your current ta being what it is (point your jets up if you want it to happen faster) & when it does, lower it with acid which will lower ta some.

The reaction of calcium turning into scale is a total of pH, TA, CH, and water temp. I don't see a CH test number above, but it would normally be N/A for your vinyl pool anyway unless you had an SWG, but I don't see that in your sig so I'm guessing you use liquid chlorine.

So unless the CH is really high, the TA is not a huge priority really unless the pH shoots upwards really fast every day or two.
Once we get back to nice weather tomorrow and onward, I'll take my skim net and drag it thru the water to aerate a bit.
If PH shoots up, muriatic fixes that I believe, and would that help lower TA also. Maybe not unless I'm lowering PH to 7.0.

Once we get back to nice weather tomorrow and onward, I'll take my skim net and drag it thru the water to aerate a bit.
If you want the workout, but not likely to change the pool chemistry in any significant way.
If PH shoots up, muriatic fixes that I believe, and would that help lower TA also. Maybe not unless I'm lowering PH to 7.0.
Just track pH. When it gets to 8, then reduce it to 7.6. Your TA will come down over time.

Do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test at target fc levels anyway before proceeding with life as usual-
then if you need to slam it will be quick & If you pass you’ll have peace of mind going forward.
Don’t add anything to increase ph. Adding Baking soda will increase your ta.
Ph will eventually rise with your current ta being what it is (point your jets up if you want it to happen faster) & when it does, lower it with acid which will lower ta some.
I added chlorine this morning. By this evening I'll test and if it's in target of about 8.0, or whatever it is, I'll retest first thing in the morning.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Didn't get the overnite test done last night, FC was 6.4 this morning, I'll try tonite.
Noticed the pump was low on water, skimmer basket was full, went to pull it out and the flimsy plastic handle detached (lots of down pull suction from the pump.) Anyone have a good way of pulling skimmer basket out with the handle? or do I need to clean the skimmer more often?
And a way to use skimmer socks without weights in the basket to hold them down (put them on the outside of the basket? pull them tight across the top? etc.)

I Always turn the pump off to empty the skimmer if it’s remotely full. My basket will break if I just look at it wrong 😑
What skimmer do you have?
I have no need to weigh down skimmer socks, they only go on the pool side of the skimmer basket otherwise it may get sucked into the pump. The suction from the pump pulls them tightly to the basket unless the pump is off. Maybe i am not understanding what you mean?

Reactions: Decoy205
I Always turn the pump off to empty the skimmer if it’s remotely full. My basket will break if I just look at it wrong 😑
What skimmer do you have?
I have no need to weigh down skimmer socks, they only go on the pool side of the skimmer basket otherwise it may get sucked into the pump. The suction from the pump pulls them tightly to the basket unless the pump is off. Maybe i am not understanding what you mean?
When turning the pump off, should I close the shutoff valve to stop water coming into the pump?
I'll try the sock just in the basket again, see what happens. Yes, on the underside of the basket they could get sucked in.

When turning the pump off, should I close the shutoff valve to stop water coming into the pump?
Not if you are just cleaning the skimmer basket. Turning pump off stops the flow so it is easier to remove.
IF you are going to clean the PUMP basket, then yes, turn off both valves so pool doesn't drain through pump when you open the lid.
I'll try the sock just in the basket again, see what happens. Yes, on the underside of the basket they could get sucked in.
(y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don’t close the valve- just turn off the pump, sometimes a leaf might get by but in general it’s not a problem.

So as you predicted, my PH shot up to over 8.0; muriatic just added. CYA came down 20, from 50 to 30. I want to keep it at about 50 so that my target FC stays high to avoid adding chlorine every day.
Also noticed the patio slab my pump sits on has wet on it; no signs of leaks at the couplers or pump lid; could it be leaking underneath thru the base? (pump has only ran 3 months last year.)

So as you predicted, my PH shot up to over 8.0; muriatic just added. CYA came down 20, from 50 to 30. I want to keep it at about 50 so that my target FC stays high to avoid adding chlorine every day.
Also noticed the patio slab my pump sits on has wet on it; no signs of leaks at the couplers or pump lid; could it be leaking underneath thru the base? (pump has only ran 3 months last year.)
Take a towel & wipe everything off - plumbing & all the equipment, anything could slightly dripping but if you wipe it clean you’ll hopefully see the line/trail next time you check. It could be running from somewhere else & the slab soaking it up. Make sure all the drainage plugs in the pump are tight. They usually have orings that may need a little lubricant. Generally theres 2, 1 at the base of the pump pot & 1 in the middle of the pump near the bottom.

Take a towel & wipe everything off - plumbing & all the equipment, anything could slightly dripping but if you wipe it clean you’ll hopefully see the line/trail next time you check. It could be running from somewhere else & the slab soaking it up. Make sure all the drainage plugs in the pump are tight. They usually have orings that may need a little lubricant. Generally theres 2, 1 at the base of the pump pot & 1 in the middle of the pump near the bottom.
Wish I'd have checked all that before hooking it up, but I'll dry it off and put cardboard underneath to see if it gets wet.
What about condensation? We have a little heatwave here now (mid 20's C) and the water is still cold, being just opened. Didn't see any condensation last year but the pump was installed in August and the initial poolwater was not cold and warmed up quickyl; well over 70 F first week.

My pool gets condensation but not usually my equipment/ plumbing.
So by noon there wasn't any sign of damp patio stone; sun dried it up but it didn't become wet again by now,3:40 p.m. So for the rest of the afternoon, was the sun drying it that fast if it's leaking. Not sure if I can conclude from that or not.
Just now lifted the pump up a couple inches, saw a couple drops of water on the top side of the base, under the main housing. I'm gonna dry it off and see what happens overnite.

Checked the spot this morning, no wetness. So I'm not gonna panic yet. Weather is warmer, so my condensation theory may be a bit valid. Where the drops of water were was between the 2 parts of the base that hold the motor housing, and right above there are slots/vents in the motor housing, water could drip from there?
Second issue, I added granular CYA in a skimmer sock, tied it just to the side near the front of my return, hours later it hardly had dissolved. I pulled it in front of the return and saw a burst of white as the return forced some out of the sock. Then put the sock in the skimmer and it seemed to dissolve better but not entirely. Could it be old (bought it last Sept.) And testing this morning, CYA hadn't changed.
Anyway, have a new jug, adding some this morning. I'll test tomorrow. Just concerned about acid in the skimmer and equipment, I know it's debatable. Gonna put the new stuff near the return again.

Squeeze that sock a bunch, that will help. Not old, some brands dissolve faster than others. CYA can take 1-7 days to fully register. Squeeze that sock a bunch, when dissolved retest in 24 hours, then 48. It is OK in the skimmer if that works. Squeeze the sock for 10 minutes...see what happens.

Last edited:
Checked the spot this morning, no wetness. So I'm not gonna panic yet. Weather is warmer, so my condensation theory may be a bit valid. Where the drops of water were was between the 2 parts of the base that hold the motor housing, and right above there are slots/vents in the motor housing, water could drip from there?
Second issue, I added granular CYA in a skimmer sock, tied it just to the side near the front of my return, hours later it hardly had dissolved. I pulled it in front of the return and saw a burst of white as the return forced some out of the sock. Then put the sock in the skimmer and it seemed to dissolve better but not entirely. Could it be old (bought it last Sept.) And testing this morning, CYA hadn't changed.
Anyway, have a new jug, adding some this morning. I'll test tomorrow. Just concerned about acid in the skimmer and equipment, I know it's debatable. Gonna put the new stuff near the return again.
Not sure about the leak- just keep watching it. Is your equipment still under warranty?
Be careful not to overshoot the cya!
Some brands seem to dissolve better than others. If the water is cold that can slow it down. So long as you kept the pump running its ok. But if alot went into the filter it could take longer to register on the test. Just count what you added as being there. Don’t backwash until it registers. I put some in a sock in the skimmer the other day for it to get mushy & when I went back about an hour later it was all gone already! My water is 81 degrees.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.