First time opening my Intex above ground pool, need some help…

MadameMagenta

Jul 5, 2022
Missouri
This is my first time opening a pool and I really don’t know the standards for opening a pool. I know people say to get an opening kit, but I didn’t know if that was completely necessary or if I just needed to shock the pool. I closed it using the In The Swim closing kit. I live in Missouri, but I decided to keep the water in the pool with a heavy cover because I have a well and it took like two weeks to fill up.

I removed the cover Friday and got the pump and skimmer hooked back up. The water looked pretty good, just a few leaves in the bottom from when the wind blew the corner of the cover off. I added some chlorine tablets to my bobber and have been running my pump and pool cleaner off and on since Friday.

Now my question, do I really have to have everything that comes in the opening kit, or do I just need to shock? Or do I even have to do that? I’m a complete newb to all of this, any help is appreciated.

To determine what your pool needs, you’ll need to know what it currently has.

How do you test your water, and what are your current levels?

FC-
CC-
pH-
TA-
CH-
CYA-

To determine what your pool needs, you’ll need to know what it currently has.

How do you test your water, and what are your current levels?

FC-
CC-
pH-
TA-
CH-
CYA-
I’m actually shopping for a test kit today. I used the strips last year and they never worked consistently for me. I’m looking at kits online and found Taylor on Amazon, is that a decent test kit or do you have any recommendations?

I’m actually shopping for a test kit today. I used the strips last year and they never worked consistently for me. I’m looking at kits online and found Taylor on Amazon, is that a decent test kit or do you have any recommendations?
I recommend either the TF-100 or the TF-Pro from TFTestKits. They’re the best value. The Taylor K-2006C is also a good option if you’re looking on Amazon. The “C” is important to make sure you have enough of the right test reagents.

You can read more about test kits here-
Test Kits Compared

You’re right not to rely on the strips, they’re really not dependable.

Until you get your test kit, i would add 1/2 of a gallon of liquid chlorine to your pool daily just to keep any potential algae at bay. Once you get your kit, post up a full set of results here and we can advice of anything else you need!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.