First time build in So. Cal (Riverside Co). Fairly complex ideas, would like advice.

You should check around more. I looked at Brian Cullingworth profile on Houzz. He only have a few projects there showing and no reviews yet. What I learned from my current building process is to be patient as the preparation stage. Do not get into a big hurry to get started. I made that mistake in getting the process started prior of doing more research.....i wanted a pool for my children for the summer and I am still in the building process and with no end insights. As for the fee....many companies charge for a designing plan. They highest I came across is $2800 in Texas and the company will credit 50% back if you start the construction with them. I recommend you speak with more people or get some other companies from Houzz.com

I agree you should bid out the pool and the wall and concrete works separately. If you have the time and most of the knowledge then you can do it all yourself as general.

Pool prices can vary a great deal and a big chunk of your price is wall and decking. In many respects those are expensive. And can be complex.

Generally there is no such thing as custom pool plans in California. There are basically conceptual drawings, a spec sheet and attached standard pool engineering drawings. Most pools are engineered by a small group of pool engineers.
So your guy probably hasn't done that many pools. But on the other hand having an engineer talk to the City with a serious wall and a pool is a good thing. $3500 for plans, and drawings for a pool and wall may be high. I'm not that familiar with pricing for walls.

Finally, you need to read this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/19915-Pool-Build-California-Dreaming-3-Years-Closer/page35
And talk to Spillmar. Your pool is less complex but its complicated enough. He can give you leads on subs.

I'm so glad I found this forum.

I think now I've made up my mind to contract it myself and after researching the last 8 hours I feel a little better about it.

I believe what I'm just going to do is have it engineered by pooleng.com. They're actually located by grandma who the kids need to visit. I already have the concepts down, I just need it engineered to code, no point in spending money on designs I've already decided on.

I'll report on the next phase as I get everything ready for permits and dealing with the HOA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.