Apr 16, 2023
Pelham, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi All,

Finally got my TF-Pro and turned on my SWG. I'm colorblind so had to have my wife's help by we performed all of the tests in just under an hour. Hopefully we will get a lot faster. :)

Water is clear but want to make sure it's balanced well as we have people over Saturday.

Test Results:

pH is hard to read but we think it's in the 7.8 range (have had rain pretty much every day for the last week)

FC 5.5

CC 0.0

CH 200

TA 120

CYA 40

Salt 3200 (Aquapure says 2700)

The SWG is set at 90% and pumps are running from 630a to 930p.

What do I need to do, what do I need to buy, and where's the best place to get it? :)

Thanks!

You are sitting pretty! Congrats.

You may want to run your FC at the high end of the range for your CYA. This will handle demand going into the summer months. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

In the south, I'd up your CYA to 70 with the SWG so it doesn't have to work so hard. Use Dry Stabilizer, use the sock method.

Finally, I'd increase your CH to 250. Do you know the CH of your fill water? Test it and post it here.

Reactions: aumfc and mknauss
You are sitting pretty! Congrats.

You may want to run your FC at the high end of the range for your CYA. This will handle demand going into the summer months. Link-->FC/CYA Levels

In the south, I'd up your CYA to 70 with the SWG so it doesn't have to work so hard. Use Dry Stabilizer, use the sock method.

Finally, I'd increase your CH to 250. Do you know the CH of your fill water? Test it and post it here.

Thanks! I installed the Pool Math app. It's telling me my TA needs to be lowered by lowering the pH and aerating. Do you think I need to do that?

I'll test the CH in the fill water and let you know. Will knowing that help in knowing what to do to raise it? Pool Math says 81lbs of Calcium Chloride. Seems like a lot.

Where the best place to find dry stabilizer? Amazon? Looks like there's 4lbs of Clorox brand for $20 and Pool Math says I need 10lbs.

Thanks again.

TA will come down as you keep the pH in the 7's. No rush on it.
CH is on the low side. Test your fill water but I suspect you do not use much of it during the summer as you get rain. Target a CH of 300 ppm or so.
Stabilizer can be found on Amazon. Puritech is a good brand. They have larger bags than the small Clorox ones.

Poolmath targets are suggestions that are mid range. See What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?

Reactions: aumfc
Thanks! I installed the Pool Math app. It's telling me my TA needs to be lowered by lowering the pH and aerating. Do you think I need to do that?
No. Manage your pH. When it gets to 8, reduce to 7.6. It will come down over time.
I'll test the CH in the fill water and let you know. Will knowing that help in knowing what to do to raise it? Pool Math says 81lbs of Calcium Chloride. Seems like a lot.
Add enough to raise CH to 300 for now. CH doesn't go away with evaporation, only backwash, spillout etc. If your fill CH is high, 250 is a fine target to start.
Where the best place to find dry stabilizer? Amazon? Looks like there's 4lbs of Clorox brand for $20 and Pool Math says I need 10lbs.
Best price per pound I've found:

Reactions: aumfc
Thanks again. Just got in the stabilizer and calcium. I'll add tonight.

Quick question on chlorine production: If my SWG is set at 90% and pumps run 6a-9p, and my chlorine is at 5.5, if I set the production to 80% and do nothing else, will it lower my FC over time? Do I want the FC at 5.5? Just trying to figure out how to raise or lower the FC once I get the stabilizer and calcium where I want it.

And my target pH should be around 7.6?

Thanks again.

Quick question on chlorine production: If my SWG is set at 90% and pumps run 6a-9p, and my chlorine is at 5.5, if I set the production to 80% and do nothing else, will it lower my FC over time?
If it is stable now, then yes it will come down
Do I want the FC at 5.5? Just trying to figure out how to raise or lower the FC once I get the stabilizer and calcium where I want it.
You want the right FC for your CyA...use this tool...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
And my target pH should be around 7.6?
Any pH in the 7s is A-OK. Don't fight with pH. Let it rise to 8.0. When it goes to 8, lower to 7.6.

pumps run 6a-9p.........if I set the production to 80% and do nothing else
Those settings will add 2 ppm FC to your pool water per day. Likely not enough. Sadly, your SWCG is very undersized for your pool volume. So you will likely need to run the SWCG close to 24 hours per day during mid summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.