AndyWallace

May 2, 2023
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all - first time posting and sharing TF-Pro results.

I didn’t know this site existed back in February when my pool company sent me a letter to buy my chemicals early at a discount, so I stocked up on trichlor tabs and dichlor powder for what they said should get me through the summer. A bundle which ran me $525 (included some what I learned to be baking soda and some algaecides and shock, etc).

FC 2.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 250
30 CYA
Vinyl
7600 gallons

Recommendation was 3.7oz of dichlor for FC which I put in the skimmer basket.

1lb 14oz of Borax for pH (which wasn’t provided in my summer “bundle”).

15 oz dry stabilizer for CYA (also not provided).

My question is: since my trichlor probably contains CYA (its the Silk Guard brand), should I just slowly start to build up my CYA using the expensive tabs I’ve already paid for/can’t return rather than buying dry stabilizer? Iowa weather has been mostly rainy and cloudy and I still have the cover on it but have it filled and have been running the pump. Water temp was around 69 degrees at testing.

Thanks so much for the help! I’m learning a ton from this website and hope to never have to buy another bundle from the pool store!

Holy Moly Andy !!!! $525 to manage a 7600 gallon pool in a short Iowa season ????? You sir found us just in time. Well. A little late, but better late than never.

And Welcome !!!!!

should I just slowly start to build up my CYA using the expensive tabs I’ve already paid for/can’t return rather than buying dry stabilizer?
Your 30 CYA is on the money for now. Let it be. The tabs last forever when stored cool/dry. They'll come in handy when a month + of rain lowers you, or for vacations.

The FC needs to come up and stay up. I always recommend some insurance FC for people learning. See the 'levels' link below.
I’m learning a ton from this website
Here's the deets so you can easily find them.
Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
PoolMath

Annnnnnnd the payoff
How Clear is TFP Clear?

As I read more and more on this site, and learned more and more, I kept thinking about the frequency in which a sucker is born (me). 🤣 Maybe they’ll let me return some of it?

Would I be correct that the dichlor has CYA in it as well? Or just the trichlor?

Thanks so much for the welcome and the assistance!

Yes, dichlor will raise your CYA and impact your PH and TA levels as well.

Reactions: AndyWallace
Would I be correct that the dichlor has CYA in it as well?
You would. (y) dichlor is the fast acting shock type of chlorine while trichlor is the slow release tab type. Both stabilized with CYA.

I kept thinking about the frequency in which a sucker is born (me).
Meet my buddy @PoolStored. You got off easy. They got me too for $600 to $800 for opening chems every year. The road to TFP is paved far and wide with folks like us.
Thanks so much for the welcome and the assistance
Read away. Process. Read it again. Find the appropriate sub forum and ask away at any time, big or small. We'll help fill in the blanks.

Reactions: AndyWallace
Hi all - first time posting and sharing TF-Pro results.

I didn’t know this site existed back in February when my pool company sent me a letter to buy my chemicals early at a discount, so I stocked up on trichlor tabs and dichlor powder for what they said should get me through the summer. A bundle which ran me $525 (included some what I learned to be baking soda and some algaecides and shock, etc).

FC 2.0
CC 0.5
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 250
30 CYA
Vinyl
7600 gallons

Recommendation was 3.7oz of dichlor for FC which I put in the skimmer basket.

1lb 14oz of Borax for pH (which wasn’t provided in my summer “bundle”).

15 oz dry stabilizer for CYA (also not provided).

My question is: since my trichlor probably contains CYA (its the Silk Guard brand), should I just slowly start to build up my CYA using the expensive tabs I’ve already paid for/can’t return rather than buying dry stabilizer? Iowa weather has been mostly rainy and cloudy and I still have the cover on it but have it filled and have been running the pump. Water temp was around 69 degrees at testing.

Thanks so much for the help! I’m learning a ton from this website and hope to never have to buy another bundle from the pool store!
Don’t put the dichlor in the skimmer. It’s acidic and when/if you turn the pump off the acidic stew gets sucked through your equipment before returning to the pool. Best not to put anything in the skimmer, use a floater.

Last edited:
Meet my buddy @PoolStored. You got off easy.
Yeah...Welcome to Team PoolStored! Not a great honor, but to get in you have to recognize what happened. Sorry for that. Maybe you can return some stuff. You got lucky, took me for $1500 or so, including a new UV system.

Stay here, you will save a bunch of money and have a pool that is "always on."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.