First test results- new member, first time opening pool alon

Re: First test results- new member, first time opening pool

Thanks Leebo!

I have been using the speedstir. Very helpful! Reminds me of my engineering days :)

The CH, if I am doing it right, is 320.

I will be running the full numbers again tonight and will post again.

I don't mind constructive criticism! Hah- my pool vacuum broke a wheel AGAIN. I ordered one, but plasti-welded it again until it shows up. It takes a while to "cure, so the bottom of the pool suffered. I picked the last two sticks out now though! I DO love a pretty, and crystal clear pool!

I first hooked up the skimmer/hose vac up and had the water control valve on the wrong setting- not on "waste". So it wasn't working.

If the little Polaris doesn't fix the last dirt, I will try the skimmer/hose vac again properly.

Bernie

With a high CH and TA you really need to stay on top of keeping your PH low. Anytime it gets to 7.5 go ahead and add acid to lower it down to 7.2. Keep it as close to 7.2 as you can.

Good Morning

I am starting to feel badly that I am having issues. Unless I am not? If these numbers look swimmable to you guys, I will still work on getting them down to normal, but won't feel so bad.

My FC went up more! I don't know if these Trichlor tabs dissolve more quickly than the ones I ran out of, or what. I have a good mind to go back to that pol supply with a sample and ask what gives. I'll stop guessing and update.

Readings this morning:

FC
17 !

CC

TC

PH

TA

CYA
50-55

My guess, after reading and reading last night, is I have to use a compressor to aerate the pool, and use Muriatic acid to bring the PH back down. I removed some Trichlor Tabs from the auto feed by the filter, and the chlorine may go down today? Or maybe I shouldn't have removed them because it is morning? Ugh.

Bernie

First suggestion......NO MORE TABS! While it does make it easy to chlorinate, it messes up a TON of other stuff. Adds CYA, lowers PH, adds more CYA.

I'll read your post again.... But promise me....no more tabs for daily use.

No problem! :)

Some of what I was doing were left over from watching the pool guy. I also thought they had to be there because of the big Hayward holder by the filter and heater.

I will take them all out! That explains a lot.

I do have Muriatic acid at home. I am having a hard time having the Pool Calculator App OR Webpage tell me how much acid to add.

I would guess that the 1/2 gallon I have left wouldn't be too much, but I refuse to screw things up more adding what I don't know.

Bernie

itsme_bernie said:
but I refuse to screw things up more adding what I don't know.
Bernie

Right there is the core of the entire BBB process. No matter what chemicals you use in your water, it's all about KNOWING just what is in the water. Using the tabs does raise your FC level's, however it also lowers your PH and raises your CYA levels. Both of those numbers are on the verge of trouble area's. Not enough to worry about at this point, but if you keep using the tabs issues will come about.

Now onto your numbers......
Once your remove the tabs the FC levels will come down in a few day's. Right now all is safe to swim, but maybe a quick rinse afterwards wouldn't hurt is anybody has sensitive skin. Your CYA levels are reaching the point where if algae breaks out you'll have issues cleaning it up. No more trichlor for now.....tabs included. :D With a CYA level of 55 you'll want to keep your FC levels between 4-9 at all times. Check daily and use liquid chlorine when needed. It maybe odd to figure out at first, but after a time or two you'll get the process. Your PH levels will go up over the next few days quickly due to your high TA levels. You've got the idea on how to lower those levels, but I'm guessing are a bit nervous as there's a step you're missing the idea of?? If so let's hear the question.

For a TA level of 210, and a PH level of 7.5 (once it get's to that point) you will use 64oz of muriatic acid......assuming it's 31%. Look on the label for how strong it is.

Leebo said:
itsme_bernie said:
but I refuse to screw things up more adding what I don't know.
Bernie

Right there is the core of the entire BBB process. No matter what chemicals you use in your water, it's all about KNOWING just what is in the water. Using the tabs does raise your FC level's, however it also lowers your PH and raises your CYA levels. Both of those numbers are on the verge of trouble area's. Not enough to worry about at this point, but if you keep using the tabs issues will come about.

Now onto your numbers......
Once your remove the tabs the FC levels will come down in a few day's. Right now all is safe to swim, but maybe a quick rinse afterwards wouldn't hurt is anybody has sensitive skin. Your CYA levels are reaching the point where if algae breaks out you'll have issues cleaning it up. No more trichlor for now.....tabs included. :D With a CYA level of 55 you'll want to keep your FC levels between 4-9 at all times. Check daily and use liquid chlorine when needed. It maybe odd to figure out at first, but after a time or two you'll get the process. Your PH levels will go up over the next few days quickly due to your high TA levels. You've got the idea on how to lower those levels, but I'm guessing are a bit nervous as there's a step you're missing the idea of?? If so let's hear the question.

For a TA level of 210, and a PH level of 7.5 (once it get's to that point) you will use 64oz of muriatic acid......assuming it's 31%. Look on the label for how strong it is.

Leebo-

You are patient and know your thing. If I can assist you with Photographic or machining advice, I'm here for you!

I have now removed all Trichlor tabs from the dispenser.

I am glad we are swimmable! I will be watching my numbers closely and testing daily. We always rinse off in a shower every day anyway, so that's no problem. We survived the pool guy's chemistry last year! :)

I have no aerating features on my pool, and no one swimming yet, so I was going to put a hose from my air compressor in the pool, below one of the two jets.
If I understand pool calculator correctly, this will raise the PH. When PH gets up to 7.8 or so, I can add the Muriatic Acid.

I appreciate your calculation for me (64oz @ 31%) but if you let me know how you found that I won't have to bug you again. I tried the Poolcalculator site and App. I am sure I am screwing it up, but just trying to provide my info.

Bernie

I'm out with my daughters for now, but once I get back to the computer I'll walk ya through the steps. Nothing's in a hurry to worry about for now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Leebo said:
I'm out with my daughters for now, but once I get back to the computer I'll walk ya through the steps. Nothing's in a hurry to worry about for now.

Absolutely Leebo! Enjoy your lovely daughters! I even, unexpectedly got my heat working today! So that should even assist in the chemistry evening out, from what I understand.

Thank you!

Bernie

Let's go ahead and walk through the Pool Calculator web site. The very first things you'll want to do is enter the number of gallons of water your pool is. You'll also want to change your "Suggested Pool Levels" down at the bottom, although this isn't a must.

The next thing I do is to go ahead and plug in your current test levels into each of the corresponding tabs. To do this (Lets use the FC test) you'll simply click on the first tab and enter 17....for your current levels. Using this http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/recommended_levels you will then fill in the "target" number. In this case you'll want to put in say 7...for an FC level of 7. You will see that you'll have to do nothing.

Now the PH and the TA have to be both entered together, as the two work together. The higher your TA level is....the more acid you will need to lower the PH level. Enter in your current level of 210 into the TA "current" tab...and your PH level of 7.3. You will then enter in your goal for your PH level of 7.2 and you will see in this case you will need 34oz of acid to lower the PH level to your goal.

The numbers I was using was once your PH levels get to 7.5 you will want to lower it back down to 7.2. Do NOT let them go above 7.5 as with your high CH level's you will start to run a risk of scaling on your heater and pool. Given a TA level of 210, and a PH of 7.5.....it will take 64oz of acid to lower your PH level down to 7.2. As an added bonus your TA levels will lower 17ppm too. :D

After a few times of this cycle you will see you'll need to add less acid each time....and will do it less often as your TA levels help "buffer" your PH swings some.

Does this help at all?? Once you use it the first few times it seems odd.....but after you get the hang of it things become easy. Once you learn what YOUR pool needs.....often testing and chemicals become a snap.

Hey Leebo!

That is enormously helpful!
The pH is 7.5 today, so I'll finally be able to add some acid.

Today's numbers are:

FC

CC

PH

TA

CYA

... And I even got my heater working yesterday!

So I guess, two additional question would be:

Shouldn't I wait until after this pool chemistry evens out before I put on the pool bubble wrap sun – cover?

Warming the pool will move the chemistry changes a little quicker?

I will go over the fantastic information you gave me about the pool calculator tonight my laptop. I had most of it figured out, but for some reason it wasn't calculating all of the chemicals I had to add. Just some of them - I will take a look at it again tonight.

Thanks again Leebo!

Update 6/5/13 evening.

First of all, my pool enjoys quite a bit of direct sunlight. Also, air temp is around 75 degrees, and the pool is a lovely 81 with the heater! :)

FC

CC

PH

TA

CYA

Numbers are approaching normal! Soon I will be learning to add :)

Bernie

Not sure why the TA dropped....I'd guess an odd test. Either way I'd lower your PH down to 7.2 tomorrow. Let me know if you need help finding out how much to add. :)

Glad I can be of help. I know all this sounds like Greek.... But in a few weeks you'll grasp it. Promise ya it's simple. :)

I forgot to mention I added a few inches of fresh water! Maybe that's it.
I'll measure to or row again and see if it is all evened out.

You have been an immeasurable help.

Bernie

Well with it looking like your TA was raised by adding chemicals as directed by the pool store, IF your fill water was lower in TA it very easily could have helped lower the levels some.

Thanks Leebo

It has been raining a lot, and I found out I have an underground leak in one leg of the returns. Not important, just the stair jets- so I turned them off.

I refilled, and will test water today.
I'll think of it as a fresh start!

Now it's time to learn to keep the water balanced myself.

Bernie

Oh my gosh- sorry about my bad terminology - I "topped it off". Only three inches again, but just below the skimmer.

I think that's a big drop for one night. I am leaving that one gate valve closed to those jets for a few days and see if I hold water.

Bernie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.