Finished SLAM and passed all tests besides clear water

Jul 30, 2023
North Augusta, SC
I’m done SLAMing my pool and i have passed every test except for the cloudiness. My sand In my filter is half new and half deep washed. So that shouldn’t be the problem. I just did the overnight test. I had 4 FC last night and this morning I had 3.5. I’ve learned a lot on this forum. (Thank you) but I can’t figure out what next steps to take to clear the water.

IMG_5585.jpeg

Hey Derrick and welcome from the shadows !!!

You can kill all the algae and it's not gone until its all filtered out. The criteria to need an OCLT during SLAM is clear water, with no traces of algae, dead or alive.

You jumped the gun and OCLT'd too soon. You're not ready yet. Although you killed all/most the algae, you maintain the elevated FC just in case while you wait the filter doing its thing.

You can add DE to the sand filter to speed the process along. A dirty filter works better to a point, and adding DE jumpstarts the sand filter to being more efficient.

I struggle with this as well. It takes FOREVER for my sand filter to clear the water jn my 5000 gal above ground pool. DE seems to help a bit, but it's still a very slow (multiple weeks) process. I have been thinking about buying a cartridge filter and only using it for pool open, but I dunno...

Reactions: Derrickwilliford
Hey Derrick - I took a peek at your Pool Math logs. In the last week, your FC is well below the minimums except for 1 day and was nowhere near SLAM Level.

Make sure you are reading the FC/CYA charts correctly. For a CYA of 30, your SLAM level is 12. Keep it there until your pool clears up and you can pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Once you get to that point you can let the FC come down a little, but it should still be in the 4-6 range. Never ever ever let it get close to FC of 2 which is your bare minimum (so no more of the 0.3, 0.8, 0.0 FC test results :) )

Here are the instructions on adding DE to a sand filter:

And how would I go about adding the DE? I appreciate the response
Check the bottom of post 2 and 5. We both posted a clickable link to give you the details.

Also if you see blue text, such as
Pool Care Basics, that's also a clickable link with more details.

Thanks everyone. Sorry for the confusion. I’m still learning. I also haven’t been logging every test result either. But I will start. Didnt realize you could eee this info and help accordingly. Thank you.
This forum seems to be very informative and have nice people here.
Also for the SLAM level FC, what do you recommend me to use? I’ve been using liquid chlorine from Walmart.
Thanks again. I think I’ve found my pool “home” :)

Also for the SLAM level FC, what do you recommend me to use? I’ve been using liquid chlorine from Walmart.
Pool essentials chlorinating liquid from WM is the best buy for most folks. (10% for $5.76) Or look for a commercial place selling in bulk. A pool store may even be a deal with 12.5% if the price is proportionate or less.

Pool essentials chlorinating liquid from WM is the best buy for most folks. (10% for $5.76) Or look for a commercial place selling in bulk. A pool store may even be a deal with 12.5% if the price is proportionate or less.
Okay I’m about to go buy like 15 more gallons lol
I need to learn more about this though. Because I thought the whole reason to SLAM was to kill algae. The pool isn’t green, and I’ve removed all leaves/debris. So i guess in my mind I was thinking having the extra FC wouldn’t help with the cloudiness, therefore there wasn’t a reason to slam. But I will continue to slam to see how it works out. I want some crystal clear water. Plus my filter doesn’t seem to be building any pressure so it doesn’t seem to be filtering the dead algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay I’m about to go buy like 15 more gallons lol
I need to learn more about this though. Because I thought the whole reason to SLAM was to kill algae. The pool isn’t green, and I’ve removed all leaves/debris. So i guess in my mind I was thinking having the extra FC wouldn’t help with the cloudiness, therefore there wasn’t a reason to slam. But I will continue to slam to see how it works out. I want some crystal clear water. Plus my filter doesn’t seem to be building any pressure so it doesn’t seem to be filtering the dead algae.
The last 1% of SLAM is tricky - you may have killed all algae and are just waiting for it to filter.
OR you may have killed 99%, but if you stop now, and FC dips below minimum, you're right back needing to SLAM.

That's why SLAM criteria are what they are - to be certain you aren't just doing the same process in a week or two.
If algae is really all dead, your FC loss will be fairly normal, so you aren't actually consuming any more bleach than you'd normally be...

While you are waiting and working to get clear water, update your signature to include pool, pool equipmemt (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info. Be specific.
This assists us in providing you help without needing to ask you each time for this important information.

Also - are you relying on pool store testing? Your results in your logs look suspicious of pool store testing.
SLAM and following TFP principals is only possible when testing yourself.

Test Kits Compared
I purchased the K-2005 and added the necessary components to upgrade it to a 2006c. But they sent me the wrong kit. So I am currently testing my own FC and CC with the recommended tester. I just don’t have a way to accurately test for the rest right now until they send the right kit.

Reactions: Newdude