Fine Mesh Leaf Skimmer Recommendation

lindend

Silver Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Florida
My Leaf skimmer broke and I'd like to replace it with a skimmer that is more durable and has a replaceable net.

This Oreq would meet my needs but I can't find it on eBay or Amazon or at an online retailer that I have experience with.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Fine Net Leaf Skimmer or know where I could purchase the Oreq unit online from a reputable online retailer?

Pool skimmer nets aren’t really BIFL items so I just picked this peach up at the Walmart for $13.
It comes w/ a little extendable pole that’s handy but also fits on my big heavy duty pole. It will probably last me a few years. The last Wally World one lived for 5yrs of daily use, abuse, & sun exposure.
It’s main purpose is to scoop fine debris from the surface before swimming like gnats, ants, & cotton wood fluff. I use leaf net with a larger weave for stuff on the bottom of the pool.
Mainstays Professional Pool Leaf Skimmer PP Net w/ 42" Aluminum Pole
Robot or human?
54BAEC0F-8D23-47B1-837D-0A82FA47890D.png

You would be better off with a leaf rake as opposed to a leaf skimmer. Here's the skimmer at one place online:
I saw the DK Hardware link prior to posting my question, but I was unsure if they were a reliable retailer. Does anyone have experience with them?

My use case is fine debris from my neighbor's black olive tree that accumulates pretty quickly that's why I was looking for a skimmer. I don't have many large leaves that get in the pool.

A search turned up these online retailers, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any of them.

DK Hardware (link above)

mypool.com

National Discount Pool Supplies

Looking at the "compare with similar items" on the Triluca Amazon page above revealed this skimmer with lifetime warranty and a number of customers that vouch for the warranty.

Then I found a couple of threads on the ProTuff skimmers on this forum. Although pricey, people seems quite happy w/the ProTuff products.

Can it be used to pick up fine stuff at the bottom of the pool also?
I'm not really sure. I use this nets bigger, coarser brother to pick up leaves and things like that off the bottom, and my Dolphin robot to get the little stuff. I usually use this net just to skim the surface.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another vote for the ProTuff skimmer here. And a long story about why, if you're interested.

With my previous pool, I tried a couple of cheap (<$10) skimmers that broke or tore within a few months, then I found this made-in-China US Pool Supply skimmer that worked great and lasted almost a year:

U.S. Pool Supply Professional Heavy Duty Large 15" x 16" Swimming Pool Leaf Skimmer Net - Fine Mesh Netting, Easy Scoop Edge - Fast Cleaning, Debris Pickup Removal - Fits Standard Swimming Pool Poles

After it broke, I bought another. And a year later when that one broke, I bought a third.

Meanwhile, I'd had a great ProTuff rake the whole time, but I never bought the matching ProTuff skimmer because in the photos it looked like it had a blunt front edge, and I like a sharper edge for scooping up debris from the bottom of the pool. So after the third US Pool Supply skimmer broke, I tried this Poolmaster skimmer instead, because Poolmaster is nearby in Sacramento and has been manufacturing pool products for like 60 years. I figured that they'd surely have figured out how to make a skimmer last more than 12 months:

Poolmaster 21160 Swimming Pool Molded Leaf Skimmer, Premier Collection,Neutral,Medium

That one wasn't as nice to use as the US Pool Supply skimmer; it wanted to dive more than skim across the surface. But that didn't matter, because it broke after only 10 days.

So I bought the ProTuff skimmer -- and as it turns out, it DOES have a scoop front edge. I've only had it for a little while, but it's obvious that it will last basically forever. It's made totally differently from the others: It has an aluminum frame, and the net is captured between front and back frame halves rather than hot-glued to the back of a single-piece frame like all the cheap ones. It looks as though the net can be replaced without replacing the whole assembly, but I'll never have to try that myself because ProTuff offers lifetime warranty replacement.

The mesh is very fine, and there's a little slack in the net so it droops just a bit-- which not only lets it hold more leaves before emptying, but also holds them more securely. It's a tiny bit heavier than a plastic skimmer, but I don't find it any more difficult or fatiguing to use. It's really a nice design.

Anyway, here's the link to it on Amazon:

ProTuff Flat Pool Skimmer Net - Unlimited Free Replacements - Pro Grade Durability for Leaf, Pollen & Small Debris Surface Cleaning - Nearly 14” Fine Mesh Silt Net Skimmer

From what I've seen/read so far, most ProTuff owners are very happy with their purchase. How long have you had yours?
This is only our second season, but I'd definitely buy it again. You can extend the pole to full length and it still doesn't flex, and the net is super strong.

Reactions: lindend
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.