Leaf rake net advice needed, Red Baron vs ProTuff, 20” vs 23”?

lightandvideo

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
We have a neighbor with a large eucalyptus tree that keeps me very busy raking leaves out of our large pool and have been using a 20” Red Baron net the last couple years, but with heavy use the netting is starting to rip and our pebble plaster has ground down part of the rim, so I was looking at other options before ordering the $29 rebuild kit for the Red Baron,

I saw on Amazon the ProTuff nets look similar and have a lifetime no-hassle replacement warranty with free replacement shipping, and they are offering a set of standard 19” or 23” rake net + 17” fine silt mesh net as a bundle. I was wanting to add a fine mesh net to our gear for when the eucalyptus is flowering to help me remove fine particles and silt so this seems like a good value and they seem to have good reviews on Amazon.

The ProTuff nets are pricey, similar cost to Red Baron, ($88 for 19” bundle & $91 for 23” bundle), but seems like saving $29 rebuild kit cost for the Red Baron every couple years would pay for itself fairly quickly, does anyone have any advice on Red Baron vs ProTuff?

(ProTuff sells just the 19” rake for $54, 23” rake for $57, + 17.5” silt net sold separately for $59, so the bundle seems like a good value, our poles are getting old so I’m also considering doing the 3 piece bundle with 23” rake, 17” silt net, and 16’ pole for $236, the 16’ pole is sold separately for $170, looks like a solid pole with superior adjustability and lifetime replacement warranty)

ProTuff has 19” or 23” rake net, so I was thinking to order the 23” version for more coverage width, but I’m curious if the additional size/weight of 23” vs 19” will make it more difficult to handle? Or if the extra width would make the work faster/easier? Does anyone have any preference using 19” vs 23” for rake nets?

…Or should I just stick with my old poles and rebuilding the 20” Red Baron rake?

Reactions: lindend
You can go through a few of these at $20 a pop and be ahead. I have been happy at the way it has lasted for me.

Reactions: lightandvideo
I just had one of my pools get the lifetime warranty honored from amazon after a few years of use. To me that's money well spent.
Thanks! Do you have any preference using 20” vs 23” rake nets for large pools? I was curious if the smaller head on the 20” might be better for less weight and for raking steps, etc, but was thinking the 23” might cover more area faster and catch more leaves and debris on each pass?

You can go through a few of these at $20 a pop and be ahead. I have been happy at the way it has lasted for me.

Thanks for the recommendation! I switched to the pro-quality Red Baron rake after using a similar less expensive net and have been happy using the higher quality net, I found that the shape of the rim helps suck the slippery little eucalyptus leaves into the net and has been a big time saver, also since I’m using it constantly I don’t mind spending more for a high quality unit, we also have abrasive pebble plaster that is very hard on the net edging/frame and we are in Las Vegas with very extreme weather and the cheaper nets don’t seem to last very long here, I just got a reply from another user saying the Protuff warranty is legit so I’m leaning that direction but appreciate your reply, thanks again!

Thanks! Do you have any preference using 20” vs 23” rake nets for large pools? I was curious if the smaller head on the 20” might be better for less weight and for raking steps, etc, but was thinking the 23” might cover more area faster and catch more leaves and debris on each pass?
The smaller one as the larger one just adds resistance even when still empty.

I love the ProTuff stuff too. And they really stand behind it. My net finally broke after about 5 years, sent them a picture and new one was on its way. Cant beat that kind of service.
Thanks yes I ended up ordering the bundle with the 19” rake net, sediment net, and 16’ pole, I have been impressed so far with all of the stuff we received, the pole was expensive but the quality is really nice and has the lifetime warranty, the quick adjust feature is definitely making it easier to vacuum when I need to reduce the pole length when I’m vacuuming near our grotto with limited space, and I can quickly extend the length when I’m working on the deep end, it’s lightweight but feels very solid, hopefully it will last for many years of regular use but having the warranty should hopefully make it a lifetime buy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hmmm, weird that you call it lightweight. My ProTuff pole is a beast. Its heavy, but strong and very solid. I only wish it was lightweight. But all things considered its a great pole with a lifetime warranty

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Hmmm, weird that you call it lightweight. My ProTuff pole is a beast. Its heavy, but strong and very solid. I only wish it was lightweight. But all things considered its a great pole with a lifetime warranty
I guess it is heavier than my old twist lock poles but not too bad, especially for vacuuming with a heavy vacuum head and the weight of the suction hose I don’t feel too much of a difference! (I ended up keeping my old “lightweight” poles for our rake net and brush and have been primarily using the ProTuff pole for vacuuming)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.