Filter Recommendations

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
15k AG pool - We had been using a DE/Cartridge StaRite PLD50, but probably need something bigger. Also, we take it apart and store it in the garage overwinter, so that's a requirement too. Suggestions? And/or what should I look for in a new filter? Do I need to replace the whole filter+pump+base at the same time?

Post pics of your pump and filter setup you have now.

Your filter the PLD50 or the Sta-Rite System:2 PLM-100 Cartridge Filter in your signature?

It's the PLM100 that I'm considering replacing. It replaced the PLD50 which was OK but over time it became really difficult to reassembled after a cleaning. Also, it seemed small because we had to clean it once a week or so, so we mistakenly replaced with with the PLM100 last year because I thought 100 must be twice as big as a 50. Here's a photo, is it what you wanted to see?

Attachments

• IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 4
From what I see the PLD50 has 30 sq ft of filtration. The PLM100 has 100 sq ft of filtration.

The Sta-Rite System:2 has sizes of 125, 150, 175, 200, and 300 sq/ft.

I don't know if any other filter will fit the stand you have.

What makes you think you need to replace the filter?

I think I need to replace the filter mainly because I need a filter I can run overnight so I can successfully SLAM and get back to a trouble free pool. With the PLM100 the flow pretty much gives up after around 4 hours of running so I can't SLAM. If I clean it every four hours it's great, and it's easy to clean, but it's not really manageable for the long haul. I can't get Pentair to answer me, but my inkling is that the PLM100 isn't really meant for this application. It never really worked well.

Looking at the other PLM sizes, the housings are all different compared to the one I have, so it would be pretty much a complete replacement, which is fine, I'm going to replace this one anyway. But if I'm going to replace it I'd like to get a recommendation on something from someone who knows something and that will work.

Last edited:
At what stage of the SLAM Process are you in? If still green, take the cartridge out until you get to the blue and cloudy. Then put the cartridge back in when you can baby sit it and filter the water clean.

With a small cartridge filter you need to do the SLAM Process in stages. Remove the cartridge and SLAM without filtering to kill the algae. Once your FC demand has dropped then move to a filtering stage when you can watch and clean the filter periodically and put the cartridge in.

Then stay on your FC level and don't allow algae blooms.

I would invest in a SWG which should manage your FC better and prevent algae problems rather than a larger filter.

But if you want a larger filter get the PLM300.

Thanks, I'll do that again. Took your advice before @mknauss. I had it blue and 5ppm overnight TC for several nights as of last weekend, but then I stopped slamming and stopped paying as much attention for a few days, and now I'm back to slamming. I'll do start again this week without the filter again. I still think the filter is root cause of the problem.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.