Sta-rite pld50

May 27, 2008
I currently have a Sta-rite PLD50 filter on my pool. Not sure how old it is but we’ve had it for 3 years and got from a friend. The cartridge needs to be replaced but I’ve seen $260-399 for it to be replaced. Should I replace it or switch to a different filter? There is no backwash and I’m currently trying to clear the pool and I’ve used 18 lbs of de and it’s still not clear.

I currently have a Sta-rite PLD50 filter on my pool. Not sure how old it is but we’ve had it for 3 years and got from a friend. The cartridge needs to be replaced but I’ve seen $260-399 for it to be replaced. Should I replace it or switch to a different filter? There is no backwash and I’m currently trying to clear the pool and I’ve used 18 lbs of de and it’s still not clear.
Is the cartridge damaged? Have you soaked it in a filter-cleaning solution? What are your chemical levels?

Is the cartridge damaged? Have you soaked it in a filter-cleaning solution? What are your chemical levels?
I’m not sure what it’s called but the fins or grids aren’t straight and touch in many places. The cartridge doesn’t look dirty after I spray it so I haven’t soaked it. I clean the cartridge, add de and within an hour there is barely any pressure coming through it. We’ve replaced the pressure gauge a few times and it never works.

FC 15 (slaming process)
pH 7.3
TA 91
CYA 5

I’m not sure what it’s called but the fins or grids aren’t straight and touch in many places. The cartridge doesn’t look dirty after I spray it so I haven’t soaked it. I clean the cartridge, add de and within an hour there is barely any pressure coming through it. We’ve replaced the pressure gauge a few times and it never works.

FC 15 (slaming process)
pH 7.3
TA 91
CYA 5
Unfortunately, looking clean and being clean aren't the same thing with a pool filter. Dirt can become embedded in the fabric and oils can clog the same way. At the very least it is worth getting a spray-on cleaner, like Filter Blaster, and follow the instructions carefully. Might save the cost of a new DE cartridge. Overnight soaking is the better way.

Are you saying there is no pressure-gauge reading or no flow at the pool?

Unfortunately, looking clean and being clean aren't the same thing with a pool filter. Dirt can become embedded in the fabric and oils can clog the same way. At the very least it is worth getting a spray-on cleaner, like Filter Blaster, and follow the instructions carefully. Might save the cost of a new DE cartridge. Overnight soaking is the better way.

The pressure gauge doesn’t work

There is a slow flow at the pool after a complete cleaning and de recharge

This is what the cartridge looks like. I used a cartridge cleaner soaked overnight with no change to flow

Attachments

• IMG_6289.jpeg
    IMG_6289.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6290.jpeg
    IMG_6290.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 2
This is what the cartridge looks like. I used a cartridge cleaner soaked overnight with no change to flow
Remove the cartridge from the filter, reassemble, run it for a bit. May want to clean the tank (open the drain plug) or some DE will get into the pool. Won't hurt anything. Does the flow improve? If yes the problem is the cartridge. If no, the problem is the pump or a clog somewhere.

Remove the cartridge from the filter, reassemble, run it for a bit. May want to clean the tank (open the drain plug) or some DE will get into the pool. Won't hurt anything. Does the flow improve? If yes the problem is the cartridge. If no, the problem is the pump or a clog somewhere.
Runs fine until the de is added. Then within 10 mins there is barely a flow. I’ve cleaned and replaced de 5 times in the past 3 weeks. I’ve added the correct amount of de. I mix the de in a bucket then slowly pour into the skimmer. I didn’t have this issue last year

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.