Filling with cover still on

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
I was wondering if there is any reason we couldn't fill the pool with the cover still on? The rationale being that we aren't quite ready to remove the cover/start the filter running, but figured we'd be a step ahead of the game if the pool is already filled once we do open. Thought if we have some warm days before opening, the water might have a chance to start warming as well, etc. Are there any downsides to doing this that we're not thinking of by chance? Thanks!

Nope. It's called a soft open and many of us get the pool running/balanced under the cover so all we have to do is pop the cover when the time comes. For most it's to wait out the aerial onslaught of falling spring debris.

Then in the fall we soft close (in reverse) to shield the pool from the same crud, while allowing us to keep the water balanced until it's cold enough.

Never add chemicals without a good mixing though, before and after.

Nope. It's called a soft open and many of us get the pool running/balanced under the cover so all we have to do is pop the cover when the time comes. For most it's to wait out the aerial onslaught of falling spring debris.

Then in the fall we soft close (in reverse) to shield the pool from the same crud, while allowing us to keep the water balanced until it's cold enough.

Never add chemicals without a good mixing though, before and after.
Ive heard of soft opening but had no idea what it was! But I'm confused...you keep the cover on, add the water. Do you then start the filter, add the chemicals as well, or can we just add the water and not get the filter/chems going until we pop the cover?? How do you get the chems in with the cover still on (ours is really battened down)?

The equipment needs to be functioning or you risk creating bigger problems. Once full and mixed, you test/dose / continue mixing to operate under the cover.

With a safety cover I just pop a corner for access. With a belted above ground I'd loosen one side just enough to get in there as need be. It doesn't need to weather the winter at that point and can be slightly less secure.

The only down side to filling with the cover still on, is that the rainwater on top of the cover will not settle in the middle to be pumped off. The rainwater will be spread out on top of the cover. Removing a cover with dirty rainwater is not something anyone wants to do for fear of spilling it in the pool.

I, however, do fill with my cover on because I have well water and like to spread out my fill times to save my well pump. I try to take the cover off when the rainwater has evaporated or before a rainstorm comes.

Reactions: Newdude