Figuring out the pool

Great! In general you will never need clarifiers, Floc, algaecide. There are special cases, but you likely will never encounter. They are not needed and many include stuff you don't want in your pool.
Here is the Safety Data Sheet SDS for this product: https://assets.unilogcorp.com/187/ITEM/DOC/100013383_SDS.pdf

It contains this, which is basically polyquat. The single use this is good for is for closing your pool, even then there is debate.
Poly[oxy-1,2-ethanediyl(dimethyliminio)-1,2-ethane diyl(dimethyliminio)-1,2-ethanediyl dichloride

It also contains: Sodium tetraborate decahydrate
This is Borax. We use it to raise pH. Same stuff as 20 Mule Team Borax from the Laundry isle.

The big thing I was looking for is Copper. Many algaecides use Copper. It is a major No No in a pool for a lot of reasons. If you are ever going to buy anything we don't recommend, avoid anything with Copper or "Blu" or Blue in the name. If you get copper in the pool, only way to get rid of it is to drain. o_O

Luckily neither of these chemicals should cause an issue...you should clear up. Keep slamming!

How is the SLAM going? We always love pics.

Last edited:
What type of filter do you have? Please update your signature.

Have you cleaned the filter since using the clarifier?

What type of filter do you have? Please update your signature.

Have you cleaned the filter since using the clarifier?
Mknauss, her pump and filter are one and the same, and in his signature as "pump."

As @mknauss indicated, it is probably worth cleaning your cartridge once or twice a day. I don't believe it includes a pressure gauge, so minimum once a day, likely 2-3 times a day would help as you are clearing the pool.

The point of @mknauss's comment is that as you kill algae, the thing that is going to keep the water cloudy is the dead algae. After you kill it all you will need to filter it. If you clean the filter more often, it will filter more of the dead algae faster.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, I think you got this slam under control...The filter will be your limiting factor as far as time goes.

Thinking forward, you want your OCLT to be 1 or less. CC to be .5 or less. And the pool needs to be clear. Like STUPID clear: Like this --> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs! Keep the Slam up until you meet all three criteria. Many keep the slam up 1 more day after meeting the criteria, just for insurance.

Then, I would recommend letting the FC drift down. Test a couple times a day to see how your pool behaves. Keep your pool at the HIGH end of the recommended range in the FC/CYA Levels. I have 60ppm CYA, so I keep my pool at 8. You will see no difference in the water at the high end or low end. Keeping it at the high end will protect you from a lot of FC loss putting you near the minimum. At or near the minimum, you are dancing with Algae.

No problem :)
Think ill go ahead and wash the filter every time i do a test during the day,, cant wash the filter too much right?
Also,i think i need to get a decent pool cleaner,, we have the Bestway 58304e flowclear pool cleaner ,, but since i just added the Hayward skimmer,, that particular vac wont fit properly,, i can attach the vac to a 30 ft hose i have, but the flow regulator is "Z" shaped so it wont fit on the skimmer

I can't help you on pool cleaners for AGPs. I do know that there are right angle caps that fit into the skimmers that you can connect your vacuum to in IGPs. Don't know if they would work for you. Sorry I can't help on that front. Do some searches in the forums, LOTS of good info.

Grabbed a pool vac head this morning from the local Lowe's,, gonna do some manual vacuuming until i get the automatic one running properly..
Did a test this am,, Fc 19,, Cc 0.5 , also washed out the cartridge filter

Grabbed a pool vac head this morning from the local Lowe's,, gonna do some manual vacuuming until i get the automatic one running properly..
Did a test this am,, Fc 19,, Cc 0.5 , also washed out the cartridge filter
@jben04 Can you go into your pool math app, press on the gear in the upper right, scroll all the way to the bottom and enable the sharing of pool logs. Then we can see them. If you click on my username, you will see a button to see my logs. Will really help us.

What was your FC when you tested after sunset? You should try to keep you FC At and below SLAM level. Going higher will not speed the process and you are just wasting Chlorine, it can also damage your line. Keep it to 16!

How dirty was the cartridge? As always, we love PICs!

Last edited:
Looks great! What was your overnight FC loss?

I should have separated the "how dirty are the cartridges" from the "We want pics."

We want pics of the POOL!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.