Farm to Pool - In-Ground Build

IntelliCenter post:

We have an IntelliCenter with Load Center for our pool install. The electrician is coming in next week to start running the electrical to the equipment room. Are there any reasons we *shouldn't* just use the IntelliCenter Load Center *as* the sub-panel from the house? Our pool builder doesn't use these (but I insisted) - and the electrician hasn't installed one. So his standard setup would be a feed from the house to the equipment room to a sub-panel that feeds the pump, gas heater, pool lights etc. He plans to run a 50a from the house panel out to the equipment room.

Given that the load-center can act as a sub-panel for non-pool items (like some additional plugs around the pool and landscape lighting) - should we just use that to save some money? Or are there benefits to just having a proper sub-panel between the house and the IntelliCenter (or drawbacks to just using the IntelliCenter)? I read in the manual that it's limited to 10 additional single-pole circuits. Which would be fine for what we are planning.
The answer really depends on what you are going to power/automate and the logistics of you build. The Intellicenter only has 10 "slots". 220V breakers take 2 slots. I opted for a separate 100A subpanel at the equipment pad to feed my Intellicenter for several reasons.
- My equipment pad is over 100'' from my house. There is no main disconnect in the Intellicenter load panel. If I wanted to power it down to work on it I would have to walk 140' to go flip the breaker on the panel that feeds it.
- My Intellicenter load panel is full with (4) 220V and (2) 110V breakers and I wanted to have room to expand in the future.
- I have a work light and outlet at the equipment pad, along with outlets around the pool I want to work if the Intellicenter load panel is powered down.
- I have a surge protection device installed in the subpanel to help protect the Intellienter.

Even if you do not decide to have a separate subpanel at the pad, consider having a work light and an outlet at rhe pad that will work even if the Intellicenter is powered down. It is not much fun to work on a panel in the dark with a flashlight or headband.

It is almost always much more expensive to do anything electrical after the trenches are filled and the panel(s) are all wired up.

Bonus tip: If you do opt for a separate subpanel get the electricians to run an extra 1" conduit between it and the Intellicenter for future use.

Reactions: JamesW
The answer really depends on what you are going to power/automate and the logistics of you build. The Intellicenter only has 10 "slots". 220V breakers take 2 slots. I opted for a separate 100A subpanel at the equipment pad to feed my Intellicenter for several reasons.
- My equipment pad is over 100'' from my house. There is no main disconnect in the Intellicenter load panel. If I wanted to power it down to work on it I would have to walk 140' to go flip the breaker on the panel that feeds it.
- My Intellicenter load panel is full with (4) 220V and (2) 110V breakers and I wanted to have room to expand in the future.
- I have a work light and outlet at the equipment pad, along with outlets around the pool I want to work if the Intellicenter load panel is powered down.
- I have a surge protection device installed in the subpanel to help protect the Intellienter.

Even if you do not decide to have a separate subpanel at the pad, consider having a work light and an outlet at rhe pad that will work even if the Intellicenter is powered down. It is not much fun to work on a panel in the dark with a flashlight or headband.

It is almost always much more expensive to do anything electrical after the trenches are filled and the panel(s) are all wired up.

Bonus tip: If you do opt for a separate subpanel get the electricians to run an extra 1" conduit between it and the Intellicenter for future use.
Great advice. I'll chat with the Electrician next week. Noob question: With your sub-panel. Do you just have 1 larger circuit on the subpanel that feeds the IntelliCenter panel (treating the IntelliCenter like subpanel itself). So the Sub Panel has a few circuits for plugs + lights and then 1 220V circuit that feeds the IntelliCenter. And the IntelliCenter has the pool pump/heafer/pool lights off it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.