Farm to Pool - In-Ground Build

atlastracer

Aug 2, 2022
Victoria, BC, Canada
Edit: Since the my intellicenter thread and this one got merged, I'll put the intro/description of the construction thread up in this post (repeated below):
I'm a new member...but wanted to share the photos from our build! We own a small farm (2.4ac) on Vancouver Island (Canada). We decided to have an in-ground pool built in part of our field. It will be a 38x16 pool with a sun ledge on stairs. It's a steel frame with vinyl liner. Our pool builder picked all the equipment with the exception that I wanted an IntelliCenter so I could have a bit more automation control. Pool will be heated (propane) and will have a automatic cover (Coverstar) installed.

We got on the list with our builder in March 2022 (with an expected started in 2023). Engaged with a designer in fall 2022 to start planning the whole project. We finalized a design in early 2023, submitted permits to the municipality which finally got approved in May. We broke ground June 16. We are hoping to get the liner installed in September (weather permitting) - but if the liner doesn't arrive (or the weather doesn't cooperate) then we may have to wait until Spring 2024 for the liner.

IntelliCenter post:

We have an IntelliCenter with Load Center for our pool install. The electrician is coming in next week to start running the electrical to the equipment room. Are there any reasons we *shouldn't* just use the IntelliCenter Load Center *as* the sub-panel from the house? Our pool builder doesn't use these (but I insisted) - and the electrician hasn't installed one. So his standard setup would be a feed from the house to the equipment room to a sub-panel that feeds the pump, gas heater, pool lights etc. He plans to run a 50a from the house panel out to the equipment room.

Given that the load-center can act as a sub-panel for non-pool items (like some additional plugs around the pool and landscape lighting) - should we just use that to save some money? Or are there benefits to just having a proper sub-panel between the house and the IntelliCenter (or drawbacks to just using the IntelliCenter)? I read in the manual that it's limited to 10 additional single-pole circuits. Which would be fine for what we are planning.

Last edited:
We have an IntelliCenter with Load Center for our pool install. The electrician is coming in next week to start running the electrical to the equipment room. Are there any reasons we *shouldn't* just use the IntelliCenter Load Center *as* the sub-panel from the house? Our pool builder doesn't use these (but I insisted) - and the electrician hasn't installed one. So his standard setup would be a feed from the house to the equipment room to a sub-panel that feeds the pump, gas heater, pool lights etc. He plans to run a 50a from the house panel out to the equipment room.

Given that the load-center can act as a sub-panel for non-pool items (like some additional plugs around the pool and landscape lighting) - should we just use that to save some money? Or are there benefits to just having a proper sub-panel between the house and the IntelliCenter (or drawbacks to just using the IntelliCenter)? I read in the manual that it's limited to 10 additional single-pole circuits. Which would be fine for what we are planning.
That's the reason that automation with load centers are made. Jandy used to make them as just the automation center, no breaker bus (I have two old ones in my garage), or with a load center.

Or are there benefits to just having a proper sub-panel between the house and the IntelliCenter (or drawbacks to just using the IntelliCenter)? I read in the manual that it's limited to 10 additional single-pole circuits. Which would be fine for what we are planning.

Having the pool equipment CB's in the IntelliCenter Load Center simplifies the wiring and makes it clear where to find the high voltage and low voltage pool equipment controls. I would definitely put the pool equipment CB's in the IntelliCenter Load Center.

The IntelliCenter has 10 120V breaker positions or 5 240V breaker positions or some combination of the two. Having some 220V devices limits the breaker spaces. You need to plan out how many breaker slots your pool equipment needs and see what is left for other outdoor circuits.

Having the pool equipment CB's in the IntelliCenter Load Center simplifies the wiring and makes it clear where to find the high voltage and low voltage pool equipment controls. I would definitely put the pool equipment CB's in the IntelliCenter Load Center.

The IntelliCenter has 10 120V breaker positions or 5 240V breaker positions or some combination of the two. Having some 220V devices limits the breaker spaces. You need to plan out how many breaker slots your pool equipment needs and see what is left for other outdoor circuits.

Do the 10 120V breaker positions also include the pool equipment? If so - I'd expect we'd end up using 3 (or even 4) of them alone for pool equipment (Pump, Gas Heater, UV Sanitizer, Pool Lights, Coverstar). We shouldn't have any 220V devices on there (either for pool or not). So having 5-7 free for other stuff should be fine as long as they are all 120V. But I see your point if there are any 220V added it would limit it. For some reason I had it in my head the pool equipment wouldn't be part of the 10 and would be in the upper part of the IntelliCenter (not the load center portion).

1689876278478.png

1645742036161.png

Maybe consider the intelliflo 3.

For some reason I had it in my head the pool equipment wouldn't be part of the 10 and would be in the upper part of the IntelliCenter (not the load center portion).

Upper part of the automation is for low voltage controls.

Lower part is for the high voltage controls - Circuit Breakers - for the pool equipment.

You builder had been shopping for you from the clearance aisle. The Intelliflo i2 pump that is limited (crippled) at its high end so that it does not exceed 15A. There is no reason for that on a new install where you can support a 20A pump circuit. You will get much better pump performance from an Intelliflo3 pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a new member...but wanted to share the photos from our build! We own a small farm (2.4ac) on Vancouver Island (Canada). We decided to have an in-ground pool built in part of our field. It will be a 38x16 pool with a sun ledge on stairs. It's a steel frame with vinyl liner. Our pool builder picked all the equipment with the exception that I wanted an IntelliCenter so I could have a bit more automation control. Pool will be heated (propane) and will have a automatic cover (Coverstar) installed.

We got on the list with our builder in March 2022 (with an expected started in 2023). Engaged with a designer in fall 2022 to start planning the whole project. We finalized a design in early 2023, submitted permits to the municipality which finally got approved in May. We broke ground June 16. We are hoping to get the liner installed in September (weather permitting) - but if the liner doesn't arrive (or the weather doesn't cooperate) then we may have to wait until Spring 2024 for the liner.

I'll post some pictures from construction below (there are a lot of photos!). But first off - here are the renders from the designer (there are a few changes since the renders - like no fence on the open side of the pool).

residence - mar 28_035.jpgresidence - mar 28_036.jpgresidence - mar 28_037.jpgresidence - mar 28_038.jpg

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
You builder had been shopping for you from the clearance aisle. The Intelliflo i2 pump that is limited (crippled) at its high end so that it does not exceed 15A. There is no reason for that on a new install where you can support a 20A pump circuit. You will get much better pump performance from an Intelliflo3 pump.
That is probably about right. We have very few pool builders in town (basically 2 - and the other one will do only fibreglass pools and doesn't have a great rep with other trades). We relied on our builder to pick all the equipment. I put my foot down that I wanted the IntelliCenter so I could do some automation. I guess I should have paid more attention to the rest of the equipment that was ordered in the fall of 2022. As an aside - I'm starting to post about our build over in Farm to Pool - In-Ground Build.

Appreciate the info on the pump.

Here are some before photos from the construction that started a few weeks ago. The house being built in the background is not ours, it's in the field below our property. But it has caused some confusion when dump trucks aren't sure which driveway they are supposed to come down to bring material :ROFLMAO:
PXL_20230626_154207811.MP.jpgPXL_20230626_154332216.MP.jpgPXL_20230626_160011205.MP.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
The following week they were just backfilling against the pool trying to get the area up to the grade. Also the plumbing and coverstar housing was installed so it could be buried in the gravel. Also the boulders were being placed that will act as the retaining wall for the build up (not shown in the renders, but required given the slope).

There will be a break in posts now that I'm caught up to where the build is at... but next week they are coming back to get the rest of the backfill done, electrical, and irrigation around the outside.

Week 2:
PXL_20230707_021121583.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233014280.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233026020.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233031992.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233059312.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233106146.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233126488.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233139065.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233238586.MP.jpgPXL_20230707_233257332.MP.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.