Failing Aqua Rite T-9 Cell?

Fan is external, on the back of the pump. Remove the pump cover you have (blue and white) and you will see a shroud over it that is held on with a few screws.
So, I’m back by the pump now and was just looking to find the screw you were referring to and pulled up on the cover over the pump and it just comes up 🤷‍♂️. See video. Should this be screwed down?

Anyway, about to go back out and unscrew the 4 screws I think take off the shroud over the fan.

Fan shroud is not coming off - screws are stuck - pulled the head off of the first screw trying to loosen it. But, I can reach the fan partially with the pump cover off and the fan spins fine, no noise, and no obstructions between any of the fan blades either. Definitely seems/sounds like the whine is something more major. The whining and ultimate failure of the pump is an issue for another day.

On a positive note regarding salt cell replacement, I was able to get into the Omnilogic settings and find the setting that i would need to adjust to a T-15 cell ($899) if I get that bigger size instead of the T-9 cell ($699)I currently have So that install and setting adjustment seems like something I can do If going up to the T-15 really is the way to go.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Regarding this particular seller, I noticed it says “This is a genuine cell with a 1 year Hayward warranty” but other sites suggest there may be a 3 year warranty. For example, Hayward’s warranty page seems to suggest a 3 year warranty if bought from authorized sellers - see below.View attachment 511406

is the vendor you linked to not an authorized seller?

I found this list of Hayward authorized online resellers

Polytec is listed. 👍

I know in the past some dealers sold cells that were meant as warranty replacement cells, which carried a 1 year warranty. I don’t know if that T9 cell listed on Polytec is such a cell, or if it’s just incorrect information on the website. As mentioned earlier, the serial number on the cell will indicate the length of the warranty.

Fan shroud is not coming off - screws are stuck - pulled the head off of the first screw trying to loosen it. But, I can reach the fan partially with the pump cover off and the fan spins fine, no noise, and no obstructions between any of the fan blades either. Definitely seems/sounds like the whine is something more major. The whining and ultimate failure of the pump is an issue for another day.

On a positive note regarding salt cell replacement, I was able to get into the Omnilogic settings and find the setting that i would need to adjust to a T-15 cell ($899) if I get that bigger size instead of the T-9 cell ($699)I currently have So that install and setting adjustment seems like something I can do If going up to the T-15 really is the way to go.

The T15 cell is certainly the better deal. 👍

Reactions: Lawtyger
So, I’m back by the pump now and was just looking to find the screw you were referring to and pulled up on the cover over the pump and it just comes up 🤷‍♂️. See video. Should this be screwed down?

Anyway, about to go back out and unscrew the 4 screws I think take off the shroud over the fan.
Unfortunately, that must be a replacement drive that wasn't installed with the four screws that come with it. They are difficult to install when the motor is out on a bench and virtually impossible with it in place.

If you were able to see the mounting plate from the bottom you would see that the four areas that the screws go through have no paint/coating on them. That is so the mounting screws can ground the drive chassis to the motor casing. The electrical ground wire is installed to the drive chassis. Without those screws the motor was not grounded. That being the case, it is more likely that the noise is from the bearings. VSP motors are actually variable-frequency drive motors. The drive induces current into the motor shaft, then bearings, that then arc and destroy the bearing. Would likely not have happened if the drive had been installed properly.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.