Fafco Solar Panel Install

I have Vortex panels, so a different mounting system. I glued down some pieces of stainless steel, but my roof is asphalt. From the vortex manual:

Note that the bottom headers are not
secured with a Header Clip to allow for expansion. Note that
this expansion can cause abrasion to some roof surfaces. To
eliminate wear on the roof, use silicon to adhere a small
square piece of galvanized sheet metal (approxiamately 4”x4”)
under each Rubber Hose Connector.

Something, yes, but I'm not sure about rubber strips. Rubber will deteriorate up in the heat and sun.

I don't know Fafco, but I can relate what I did. My panels are thousands of little tubes, held in-line by dozens of plastic spacers that clip on perpendicular to the tubes. After completing my install, I realized the spacers not only align the tubes, but also keep the tubes off the roof, like little tiny suspension bridges. But the frequency of the spacers did not align with the tiles, so in multiple spots the tubes were laying on the tile. Movement from expansion and contraction would definitely, eventually, saw right through the tubes. So I plotted the high points of the tiles onto the tubes using a chalk snap line, took everything off the roof and removed and replaced every single spacer to hit the tiles in just the right spot, so no tubes would touch. This was extremely complicated by the fact that my panels are skewed to the roof, so that they drain, which means every spacer was in a different place from panel to panel. Then back up onto the roof. Took me all day.

That was my brag-a-docius way of saying: yes, it's important not to ignore this eventuality, and no component of the panels that will move via expansion/contraction should be touching the roof. Suspension is best, a pad of less abrasive material to shield the contact is next best.

Frankly, I would be less concerned about abrasion to the roof and more concerned about abrasion to the panels and their mounting components. Both are important, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.