CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi all, wondering about an extended leave of an open pool, mid season. We normally have pretty stable pH and a SWG. Was considering to leave the EVO robot in the pool, running once per week or so, autocover closed.

Problem is that we don't have any metric for SWG run time on a pool not getting any use. Any idea to pick something like the "water guru" up so I can adjust while away?

Anyone think leaving a pool for 6-8 weeks mid season is even feasible without someone to babysit the pool?

With the pool completely covered I don't think you need to run your robot. The issue would be the skimmers and with a closed pool should be a non-issue.

For chlorine, hard to say what you use with the cover on. For sure if you can have someone test every week or so that would be better. If not, I think you need to cover it for a day or 2 and determine your chlorine usage before you leave. I guess worst case you come back to a high chlorine level.

With the pool completely covered I don't think you need to run your robot. The issue would be the skimmers and with a closed pool should be a non-issue.

For chlorine, hard to say what you use with the cover on. For sure if you can have someone test every week or so that would be better. If not, I think you need to cover it for a day or 2 and determine your chlorine usage before you leave. I guess worst case you come back to a high chlorine level.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately we don't have anyone to come around and look at the pool. Will we have water loss with the cover on (seems like should be a no)?

I'm certainly no expert, but we were thinking we would leave the robot in to scrub any slime off the walls. If you think this isn't going to do anything I'll defer to your expertise.

Thoughts on the waterguru (or any other inexpensive monitoring device)?

I don't think leaving the robot in will make any difference at all. Even if you did get algae on the walls, having the robot "scrub" it isn't going to do anything but spread it around. With your SWG running while you are gone, I think the only thing you would have to worry about is a higher chlorine level when you return. With your vinyl liner that may or may not affect it (fading). If you are dialed in with the SWG pretty well, maybe turn it down 10% more and let it run.

I have no experience with the waterguru or any monitoring device. I believe chlorine level monitoring uses an ORP probe and I am not sure how accurate those are.

Reactions: kevinanton7