Error Code During Winter

LeathemT

Apr 22, 2022
Auburn alabama
Okay, I'm thoroughly confused. This is my second winter with our new pool and we have some questions. Right now we're showing no chlorine in our pool. Because it's winter time, we've stopped adding salt to the pool and started adding shock yesterday. I tested the pool today and I think the chlorine is going up but still reading low. We only have test strips right now to test our chemical levels. I added another bag of shock because I discovered the shock we bought says one bag per 13,500 gallons and we have a 22,000 gal pool. So, we're waiting to see if the second bag of shock helped. The other issue that's popped up is I got an error code 144 today for SWG. From searching I determined this is a low salt level error, which makes sense because we haven't added any salt since it's winter now.

Here's my question, do we need to worry about the 144 error code or is that common since we haven't added any salt since it's winter? We're not sure how long we should be running our pump during winter. I've read some of the forums saying anything from as little as 1hr per week (when you add shock) to as much as 4-6hrs per day. Even though this is our second winter with the pool, we've only had the pool for 1.5 years and feel like we still don't know much about managing it. We want to do it ourselves but we feel like we're totally lost. Any help is appreciated.

For all chemical additions use
PoolMath to calculate the amount needed to reach your target.
You will need to keep fc ABOVE minimum for your cya or you will get algae.
See—> FC/CYA Levels
We recommend that you use liquid chlorine to do this as powdered “shock” products add extra things besides free chlorine to your water that you may not need.
Cal hypo adds fc & calcium - the fc gets consumed but the calcium stays behind (too much calcium can cause scaling)
Dichlor & trichlor add fc & cya & are also quite acidic.
The fc they add gets consumed but the cya continues to build.
If your water is too cold for your swcg to operate just turn it off. (This is generally somewhere in the mid 50’s)
You can replenish the salt in the spring when the water warms up before operating again.
Btw- You should not depend upon the swcg alone for your salt measurements.
We recommend that you get a
Test Kits Compared to properly care for your pool as test strips are inadequate.

Set your Aquapure generation % to 0 until the spring after you add salt.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.