Erratic Intellicenter Behavior (RESOLUTION)

markdpratt

Gold Supporter
Dec 24, 2020
Lake Charles, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Ever since I had my Intellicenter CB’s changed out to GFCI’s and my two feature pumps re-wired up using RS-485 cables a few weeks ago (my filter pump was already hooked up with a RS-485 cable), my Intellicenter has been acting strangely.

There are no issues when just my filter VSF pump is running - I run it 24/7 at 1160 RPM with my SWCG.

But, when I run my bubbler and scupper pumps for extended periods of time - for instance when I add MA to lower my pH and run my feature pumps all day to lower the TA - after differing times (for example one day at 48 min, 63 min, 56 min, 100 min, and 36 min) all 3 pumps will simultaneously shut down and I have to reset my Intellicenter to restart the filter pump and then the feature pumps.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Mark

How do you reset your IntelliCenter?

Do any circuit breakers need to be reset?

What do the pumps display when they stop?

What does the IntelliCenter display before the reset?

Check that you have no egg timers on the bubbler or scupper pump circuits.

How do you reset your IntelliCenter?

Do any circuit breakers need to be reset?

What do the pumps display when they stop?

What does the IntelliCenter display before the reset?

Check that you have no egg timers on the bubbler or scupper pump circuits.
  • I reset my Intellicenter using the Reset button (depressing it for 10 seconds) just below the LCD screen
  • No circuit breakers needed resetting
  • Pump displays are as follows: I’ve attached photos of the two Superflo pump displays and the VSF filter pump display after they shut down
  • Intellicenter display before the reset: I’ve attached a photo of the Intellicenter display after the pumps shut down. Before the Reset, the display showed all 3 pumps still running even after they shut down. The only way to reestablish control of the pumps was to reset the panel.
  • I’ve never messed with the Egg Timers - here are photos of the both the Bubbler and Scupper pump circuits showing the EGG TIMER settings. Is there anything I should change?
Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0135.png
    IMG_0135.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0134.png
    IMG_0134.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    470.3 KB · Views: 8
Your pumps show they lost RS-485 communication with the IntelliCenter.

Take pics of your pump control panel when they are running and see the difference.

What firmware version are you running on the IntelliCenter?

What firmware version is in each of the pumps?

Which RS-485 comm connectors are each of the pumps connect to in the IntelliCenter? Open up the top low voltage and show pics of the connections identifying the wiring.

Last edited:
Your pumps show they lost RS-485 communication with the IntelliCenter.

Take pics of your pump control panel when they are running and see the difference.

What firmware version are you running on the IntelliCenter?

What firmware version is in each of the pumps?

Which RS-485 comm connectors are each of the pumps connect to in the IntelliCenter? Open up the top low voltage and show pics of the connections identifying the wiring.
My Intellicenter firmware version is 2.017.
How do I determine the firmware version for my Superflo and Intelliflo pumps?

My Intellicenter firmware version is 2.017.
How do I determine the firmware version for my Superflo and Intelliflo pumps?
Here are photos of my RS-485 connections.

All 3 pumps and the Wireless Antenna cables are wired together and attached to the RS-485-A(J5) com port. Is that correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0140.jpeg
    IMG_0140.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 8
That is not the best way of connecting multiple devices to the RS-485 bus. It is better when each device is connected directly to a connector.

You have three RS-485 connectors on the IntelliChlor surge card on the back wall. The Intellichlor cell should connect to one of the connector blocks. Are the other two free?

You can put two wires on one screw without a problem.

I would spread your pump RS-485 wires among the available connector blocks and then when they are all full double up connections as necessary. But don't use wire nut splices on RS-485 connections.

Pentair also has the Serial COM Port Expansion Kit P/N 520818 to be able to connect one device to each connector.

Last edited:
That is not the best way of connecting multiple devices to the RS-485 bus. It is better when each device is connected directly to a connector.

You have three RS-485 connectors on the IntelliChlor surge card on the back wall. The Intellichlor cell should connect to one of the connector blocks. Are the other two free?

You can put two wires on one screw without a problem.

I would spread your pump RS-485 wires among the available connector blocks and then when they are all full double up connections as necessary. But don;t use wire nut splices on RS-485 connections.

Pentair also has the Serial COM Port Expansion Kit P/N 520818 to be able to connect one device to each connector.

Thanks Allen - much appreciated.

I do have two free RS-485 connector blocks on the Intellichlor Surge Card on the back wall. I will distribute the RS-485 wires to the open connector blocks and eliminate the pigtails. Let me do that and see if that corrects the pump shut down issue.

Thanks Allen - much appreciated.

I do have two free RS-485 connector blocks on the Intellichlor Surge Card on the back wall. I will distribute the RS-485 wires to the open connector blocks and eliminate the pigtails. Let me do that and see if that corrects the pump shut down issue.
I re-distributed the RS-485 cables between the available connector blocks and eliminated the pigtails (see photo).

I restarted the system and turned on the two feature pumps (for the bubblers and scuppers). They ran for 22 minutes and shut down again like before.

This only happens when running the feature pumps - if I’m only running the filter pump, there are no issues.

Maybe this is a firmware issue with the two Superflo VST pumps like you mentioned earlier? How do I determine the firmware version for each of those pumps?

Any other ideas of what the problem is?

Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 2
Show us pics of what the pump control panels display when they are running properly.

This could also be a bug in the Intelli8Center 2.017 release. 2.017 had enough bugs that Pentair pulled it from their website.

You might try reverting to 1.064. Instructions are at Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

What is the firmware history of your IntelliCenter? Did you have it running on 1.064 and then upgraded to 2.017? Or did you start it on 2.017 before you did any setup?

You may want to call Pentair Support and escalate the problem to the IntelliCenter Support group and discuss it with them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Show us pics of what the pump control panels display when they are running properly.

This could also be a bug in the Intelli8Center 2.017 release. 2.017 had enough bugs that Pentair pulled it from their website.

You might try reverting to 1.064. Instructions are at Pentair Automation Systems - Further Reading

What is the firmware history of your IntelliCenter? Did you have it running on 1.064 and then upgraded to 2.017? Or did you start it on 2.017 before you did any setup?

You may want to call Pentair Support and escalate the problem to the IntelliCenter Support group and discuss it with them.

Thanks Allen.

After this Easter weekend, I will try reverting to the 1.064 Intellicenter version and monitor results.

I’m not sure of how long I have had the 2.017 firmware. It may have been updated a month or so ago when my pool company tech installed the Pentair GFCI breakers and RS-485 cabling for my Superflo VST pumps. Interestingly enough, my problems seemed to have started about then.

If the 1.064 version does not correct the problem, I will contact Pentair Support and escalate the problem to the Intellicenter Support group.

Thanks Allen.

After this Easter weekend, I will try reverting to the 1.064 Intellicenter version and monitor results.

I’m not sure of how long I have had the 2.017 firmware. It may have been updated a month or so ago when my pool company tech installed the Pentair GFCI breakers and RS-485 cabling for my Superflo VST pumps. Interestingly enough, my problems seemed to have started about then.

If the 1.064 version does not correct the problem, I will contact Pentair Support and escalate the problem to the Intellicenter Support group.
I worked with the Pentair Technical Support to finally get to the bottom of my issue.

In summary, I recently had my two Model No. 011056 SuperFlo VST feature pumps connected to my IntelliCenter via RS485 cabling. My Intellicenter had been upgraded to the 2.017 firmware. Both SuperFlo VST drives were running “2.2.2.H” firmware, which, after troubleshooting and discussions with Pentair Technical Support, caused a communication loss for the pumps. The drive covers on both SuperFlo VSTs were replaced under warranty to remedy the communication issue and now are both running “2.2.2.L” firmware.

NOTE: To determine the current Superflo pump firmware Pentair had me have both Superflos running and simultaneously press the #1, UP arrow, and the DOWN arrow on the pumps. When pressed the “2.2.2H” firmware was displayed which, according to Pentair, was causing the communication loss. According to Pentair, “2.2.2L” is the correct firmware.

All appears to be good now.

Thanks again to Allen for his help.

Regards, Mark