Equipment in basement?

Dalyons

Jun 24, 2023
Michigan
Installing a 7x13 Soake pool right now in Michigan. It will be used year round.

I was planning on doing pool equipment outside And I need to move a gas line which means I need to tear up my finished basement to fix it.

I was thinking today can I put pool equipment in an unfinished portion of basement? It would be right next to panel and gas. I don’t have a drain so would need to figure something out for when Darn happens.

With Michigan winters and plan to run all year round thought warm basement would be beneficial.

Water line for pool would be close to 100ft from equipment vs 70ft if outside.

Thoughts?

What heater?

You know how you will vent the heater if in the basement?

100' run is not a big difference from a 70' run. Use 2.5" or 3" pipes.

Putting the equipment in the basement places it below the water level. You need to give thought to how you valve the pipes and equipment so that water will not drain when you open any equipment for service.

While you say you will run the pool 12 months you should plan for how you can winterize and shut the pool for the winter if necessary.

You need to have the pool equipment area so that it can become flooded without damaging the rest of the house. Pool equipment pops leaks at the most unexpected times. You need adequate drainage to handle a high volume of water.

Install water sensors and alarms in the pool equipment area.

What type of filter will you have? Consider how the filter will be opened and cleaned.

Also consider how you will move equipment in and out of the basement area.

Last edited:
I'm also curious about your plan to keep the pool open during Michigan winters. We keep our pools open in the winter here (TX) for many reasons, but every couple of years we get a really bad cold spell (lows in the single digits to low 20's) and you have to stay alert and act quickly during an equipment failure or power outage. A few days every couple of years is manageable, but I would give myself an ulcer trying to keep a pool going during the winter in Michigan even if the equipment is in your basement.

Reactions: Newdude
100' run is not a big difference from a 70' run. Use 2.5" or 3" pipes.

Putting the equipment in the basement places it below the water level. You need to give thought to how you valve the pipes and equipment so that water will not drain when you open any equipment for service.

While you say you will run the pool 12 months you should plan for how you can winterize and shut the pool for the winter if necessary.

You need to have the pool equipment area so that it can become flooded without damaging the rest of the house. Pool equipment pops leaks at the most unexpected times. You need adequate drainage to handle a high volume of water.

Install water sensors and alarms in the pool equipment area.

What type of filter will you have? Consider how the filter will be opened and cleaned.

Also consider how you will move equipment in and out of the basement area.

Appreciate the input

I have to figure out how to drain a lot of water if needed. I can do everything else you list.

Jandy cartridge filter

I'm also curious about your plan to keep the pool open during Michigan winters. We keep our pools open in the winter here (TX) for many reasons, but every couple of years we get a really bad cold spell (lows in the single digits to low 20's) and you have to stay alert and act quickly during an equipment failure or power outage. A few days every couple of years is manageable, but I would give myself an ulcer trying to keep a pool going during the winter in Michigan even if the equipment is in your basement.
Soake pool is 3200 gallons, insulated, and pipes also insulated. It’s meant to be run all year in colder climates.

Still has risks no question. Will have backup generator and knowing me I will buy a backup pump :)

Reactions: JJ_Tex and Newdude
I would rather build an insulated shed with a heat source than use my basement. It would solve the possible flooded basement and could be much closer to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support