Bronze Supporter
Jan 8, 2023
Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
While working inside my high voltage box today I noticed one relay which had 3 wires tenuously attached to each of the line spots. I was going to go ahead and pigtail it but in the process of disconnecting it the plastic broke apart and rendered the relay unusable. After looking at it more carefully he had 3 wires connected to Line 1 and 3 wires connected to Line 2 with nothing connected to either load spots. The relay also corresponds with the waterfall circuit which is a VS Intelliflo pump wired straight to a breaker.

Unless I'm thinking about this wrong is there any reason line voltage even needs to be connected to this relay since there's no load? Or am I safe to just wire nut each line set together and disconnect the bad relay from the board?

Thanks
Brian

Attachments

• PXL_20231022_223226144.jpg
    PXL_20231022_223226144.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: .ben
Brian,

They were just using the relay as a "Wire Nut"... :mrgreen:

IntelliFlo pumps should be wired to constant AC power, as they are normally controled by an RS-485 com port.

Your idea to use real wire nuts will work just fine...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bradgray
Brian,

Lazy if a new system, but if an old system, not so much... An old system would have had a single speed pump connected to that relay.. Moving the load side wires over to the line side makes perfect sense, if you are replacing a single speed pump with a VS pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: bradgray
They used white wires for hot wires, which is completely incompetent.

The electrician is a hack and a dangerous, incompetent person.

I would cancel their license if they even have one.

pxl_20231022_223226144-jpg.537032

The relay also corresponds with the waterfall circuit which is a VS Intelliflo pump wired straight to a breaker.
They were only using the relay as a terminal strip to connect the pump wires. The were not using the relay or Aux function itself.
They have the relay assigned to the circuit, so that wastes that relay.

Why assign the relay to a feature circuit.

Maybe they need the relay for something else?

Also, the white wires used as hot wires is incompetent.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like potential jumpers. Would need a better picture of the wiring. All whites should be replaced with 12 gauge solid(anything under 20amp) color(not white). White is the unversal color for neutral. Anyone working on it in the future could mistake it as such. Those wires aren’t even under the relays lug. Wago connectors are pretty dope and are up to code.

It looks like potential jumpers. Would need a better picture of the wiring. All whites should be replaced with 12 gauge solid(anything under 20amp) color(not white). White is the unversal color for neutral. Anyone working on it in the future could mistake it as such. Those wires aren’t even under the relays lug. Wago connectors are pretty dope and are up to code.

Just wrap the end of each white wire with black electrical tape to indicate it is a hot wire.

You don’t need to replace the white wires.

WAGO connectors are easier to use on those solid wires then wire nuts.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.