Easy Touch 8 variable speed pump upgrade

I got 8 years out of my first cell. On cell number 2 now. Most new pool owners know nothing about pool care and follow the really bad advice given at pool stores which will wreck a pool in short order. In the early days of SWGs, most pool service people had no idea how to handle a pool with one and just treated it like any other pool basically ignoring the cell. That too will wreck a cell in short order. If you follow what is taught here, and baring any manufacturer defects which is always a potential issue, then you can easily get a very long life out of an SWG.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Tom, Thanks for your post on using a replacement VS motor with an easy touch. I'm about to do the same thing for a Spa Booster Pump motor and if I have to buy a VS motor, I want to at least be able to control it with my EasyTouch8 (with the latest firmware - see the threads that discuss how to update the firmware if you want another project).

About the IntelliChlor issue: Since you run your pool year-round, you may have had the issue I had. When the water temp drops below a certain temperature, the chlorine conversion doesn't work as well (or maybe not at all). In my case, the low temperatures caused the low salt indicator to light up even though there was plenty of salt in the pool. This made the service guys think the cell was bad. But it wasn't because even with the replacement cell, the low salt indicator would light up with lower temperatures but in the spring, it worked fine again. That could be what you experienced with your IntelliChlor system. Give it a try when things warm up to see if it still works.