Does pool pump need to be running for heater to work?

Mar 6, 2018
Rapid City SD
I am also a new pool owner here in AZ. When referring to pool pump is that the same as running the filter pump? We turned our pool heater on (newly installed heater) but did not see a pool temperature displayed on screen. However when we turned filter pump on along with the pool heater it then displayed the current pool temp. I do not see a pool pump selection only filter pump. Hoping it is the same thing.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Your pool may have a booster pump to run a cleaner or a water feature. When we say pool pump, we are speaking of the main pump that circulates water from the pool through the filter. You can post a picture of your equipment pad if you need help identifying anything. In answer to the other question, yes the pump needs to be circulating water through the heater for it to operate.

Yes - same thing. The pump has to push the water through the heater for it to work. There is a switch in the heater that won't allow it to turn on unless the water is flowing.

Exactly. If there isn't enough water flowing through the heater when it is on, it could cause a lot of damage. A good thing to do when you're introducing yourself to a new pool is to ensure that the heater is properly wired to only have power when the pump on, and has a functioning flow meter to cut itself off if the water flow becomes too low through the unit. :)

Can I justify this hijack as something the OP would need to know?

My x-pool-guy that hooked up my solar heater, same guy that said solar panels work better the slower the flow, 'cause the water gets hotter, told me that my gas heater required a lot of flow. He set the speed for heater mode to 2500RPM. I knew at the time that he was full of it regarding my solar panels, which require the flow the manufacturer recommends for best heat-exchange efficiency. I've determine that my panels want 2500RPM for optimum flow (using my FlowVis!).

So do gas heaters work similarly? A little bit of heat exchange at a faster flow is better than a lot of exchange at a slower flow? What's a good flow rate (or RPM) for a pool heater?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.