Does My Hayward Cartridge Filter Need to be Replaced?

Since 2015 (second video) six reported cases of a filter "exploding," which they don't do, though they will fly apart (older video so likely a few more cases), yet seldom seen in any news reports. Daily US traffic accidents; 19,900+ with an average of 99 fatalities.
Yes, trapped air will cause the issues seen. I've seen a tank clamp fail on a system that was only full of water under pressure. The lid lifted about 2", water went everywhere, but no "explosion" as there was no trapped air under compression.
First video was either a clamp loosened before air was released or not properly tightened (instructions are on the clamp itself) when the pump was started. Operator error. I know two local pool techs that have been hurt by doing the same thing.
Second video, again trapped air and a chemically damaged retaining nut. Operator error.
Third video, again trapped air. Also, those tank clamps have rarely been known to fail if not tightened completely to the lock/stop. They will loosen on vibration until there is not enough of the clamp holding and what is holding will fail.
In both the second and third there is also an IFCS that causes the pressure in the system to swing widely as they change from port to port. They also, usually, have larger pumps that can sustain that higher pressure. Flex something long enough and it will fail. If you've ever watched a filter on a system with those you will see it grow taller and shorter with every port change.
In Chrysboy68's case, I'd recommend a new service company that won't try to scare a person into making a change without pointing out exactly why something might be needed. Changing a filter because it might fail is not reason enough unless there is some damage somewhere.

Pool company says I’m living on borrowed time.
Ask them to explain exactly why they think that the filter is no longer safe.

How old is the filter?

What is the normal pressure?

What is the recommended new filter?

Builders in Florida love to use undersized filters, so if you get a new filter, go big (420 sq ft.).

In any case, never put your face or body over the filter when it is under pressure.

they will fly apart (older video so likely a few more cases), yet seldom seen in any news reports.
I'm with you that it's not common but I imagine many would go unreported without physical injury. Statistically speaking, nobody is out there to be injured when it happens so the number of reports may not tell the full story.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The top in this video comes off with a lot of force.

Luckily, the person did not get hit by the top.

If the top hit their head, it could have possibly killed them or caused serious permanent injury.

Reactions: newdude
Hi I did a visual inspection inside. Besides looking old I didn’t see any cracks and the housing is not leaking. Couple of pics. I was able to read the serial number and it was manufactured 07/11/2012.

Pool company just said it was old and they can go without warning , draining the pool.
thanks

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    329.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6427.jpeg
    IMG_6427.jpeg
    294.9 KB · Views: 9
The top knob has brass threads and that is what is most likely to get stripped out.

You can replace that to be safe.

Note: I do not know the condition of the filter, so I cannot advise if it is safe to use or not safe.

If you are not sure, maybe get a second opinion.

The first thing to do is to ask the first company to explain what their concern is about the filter?

Is it based simply on the age or is there a condition issue that they can point out like a crack etc.

Also, ask them what type of failure they are concerned about?

Is it the tank rupturing or the nut stripping or what?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.