Does a SWG cell need to be cleaned if it hasn't been generating chlorine?

May 8, 2016
St Paul, MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good news and a question.

First, the good: My SWG has been out of commission this summer. Thanks to this board, I was 95% sure the "black disk" was the culprit, but I couldn't find anyone who would touch my circuit board - until today, when a good friend who is also an electrician came for dinner and brought his soldering iron. Thirty minutes later, my SWG was up and running! Saved me the $600 my pool company wanted to install a new board.

Now the question: when the SWG started working again, the Check Salt Cell light came on. I reset it, because the salt cell hasn't been generating chlorine this year, and that's what cause the build up. Right? The simple fact that water has been going through the cell doesn't cause build-up on the plates, does it? I assume it was just the automatic timer kicking in, but I wanted to make sure. (Regardless, we only have a few more weeks of swimming here in Minnesota, so I'm reluctant to shut the system down to clean it now.)

Kelly

It should not have build up as long as you manage your CSI. Always do that, keeping it a 0 or just below, and you will never need to 'clean' it.

Take care.

Forgive me, what is CSI? I thought cells do need to be cleaned every 3-4 months of operation, even under the best of circumstances.

CSI

I have never cleaned my cell in 2+ years. Cleaning it reduces its life if acid is used. If your pool water chemistry is kept in the proper ranges you should never have to clean a SWCG.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.