do something about ice?

engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi. So we have freezing weather and snow in Seattle. I have a skim of ice on the pool.

Should I do something to get rid of it or
is it harmless and I can just wait for the rain to return?

Thank you

Loren

Let it be until it completely melts. You have less worry than a vinyl liner pool, but even so, the melting sheet of ice may be razor sharp and chip your finish/tile.

It’s hard. You want to do something for the sake of doing something. Then your inner 5 year old wants to smash it because it’s FUN.

Resist the urges. :)

equipment is indoors and runs a few hours / day all winter
My goodness that changes everything. I was assuming the pool was long winterized.

May i also assume (and possibly more correctly) with you being a member since '12 that whatever you are doing has worked fine for many years ?

As for many years? I have no regular ice plan as we do not have regular ice. Maybe every couple / three years. One year I turned on the heat but that costs $$. One year I ran the pump 24/7 but that costs $$. One year I just poked holes in it, doesn't cost much but kinda slippery out there. Water temp is 33 so fall in would be bad for old man.

So this year I said "this gotta stop, gotta have a plan"

Loren

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If all your lines are buried to the indoor equipment then you do not need to winterize or run the pump any extra. It will not get cold enough long enough to bother. That big ocean next door moderates the temperatures.

If all your lines are buried to the indoor equipment then you do not need to winterize or run the pump any extra. It will not get cold enough long enough to bother. That big ocean next door moderates the temperatures.
True 99.9% of the time. Just every two or three winters there is a 3 or 4 day chill and the ice skim forms on the shallow end and I say "what now". I think I will stop thinking on it. Maybe just aim the eyeball on the shallow end up to ripple the surface. Thanks.

I can't get over how warm it is by you. Going by the map, you're in the top 1/3 of Montana / North Dakota and completely north of Maine on my side. We have an ocean and a gulf stream also which usually helps, but then the polar vortex says 'Nah' and it all goes to crud for a couple weeks.

Thanks for the learn.

Also, your Island looks spectacular.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.