Burbank, CA
Hi everyone,

FC 2.5 Last night was 6
CC 0.5 " " 0
pH 7.5+ " " 7.5
CH 300
TA 130
CYA 30

Did those tests just now. Should I be concerned about the drop in FC?
After testing last night I added about 2.5" of water.
Had a very hot sunny day today.

I see no algae and water is crystal clear.

Im thinking it's just the sun and fresh water so will just use PM to dose bleach and MA but I'm wondering...

thanks!

Thanks Yippee will do the loss test first.

I just read read about your fountain, so brilliant.
I might like to try that. Don't ever need to bring down my water temp but it might help me with my TA and it just looks so cool.

Best
Jim

This is why we advocate regular testing. You spotted the low chlorine right away. Once a week to Leslies wouldn't have caught it. I highly doubt you developed algae that quickly. An OCLT would confirm it, but I personally wouldn't bother with it on my pool. Your pool is like a living thing. One day fasting won't give an otherwise healthy creature malnutrition.

You should raise the CYA level to 50ish. That will slow the sun burnoff.

Hey Richard!
You're only a short drive from me so we have the same weather and probably the same hard water huh.
wow up to 50 eh?
Yeah. Works for me. I use the quick test every day. Minimum FC with 50 CYA is 4, so basically, if it looks pretty close to the highest color, I'm good and just dump in my usual amount of bleach. If it's low, I use the FAS-DPD to see just how low.

Hey folks,

I did perform OCLT that night and lost just shy of 1 FC and a few days later still algae-free.

Balanced chems using PM and yesterday added CYA also according to PM and have CYA at about 40 as of now
I won't add more for a few more days to see if it rises further.
FC 4
CC 0
pH 7.3
CH 300
TA 130

At this point there doesn't appear to be much to complain about except for the TA and CH. Probably nothing to do about CH unless I wanted to pay for calcium-free water and that's not gonna happen. So what can I do about the TA except for see-sawing the pH (dropping it low with MA and letting it rise and aerating as much as possible)?

Wondering if Yippee's fountain would help? I read that 120 is the high-side of 'acceptable', should I even worry about TA?

Pizza

I think your looking pretty good with those numbers and I wouldn't worry too much about the TA other than to just add the acid when your pH rises over 7.8. As you mentioned it will bring the TA down over time.

Just watch that you keep your FC above your minimum as your adding CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.