Switching to SWCG as when I open the pool, how concerned should I be about TA?

Jun 23, 2018
Apple Valley, MN
So I'm opening a pool that we had remodeled last year, so it was filled with fresh water last fall. My fill water has pretty high TA apparently, but the PH is in a good spot at 7.5 I know the general idea is to not worry about TA unless PH is always high or Scaling Index is high. Since I'm adding a SWCG and a lot of salt in a couple days should I get TA down now so I'm not fighting PH with the new salt water system, or install and just see what it does.

My plan is to shock the pool and get water balanced and then turn on the SWG.

Readings
FC: 0 CC: 0
PH: 7.5
CYA - 20 (added stabilizer last night to get it up, haven't retested yet)
TA: 190
Salt: < 1000
Cal: 300
Water temp: 59

So I'm opening a pool that we had remodeled last year, so it was filled with fresh water last fall. My fill water has pretty high TA apparently, but the PH is in a good spot at 7.5 I know the general idea is to not worry about TA unless PH is always high or Scaling Index is high. Since I'm adding a SWCG and a lot of salt in a couple days should I get TA down now so I'm not fighting PH with the new salt water system, or install and just see what it does.

My plan is to shock the pool and get water balanced and then turn on the SWG.

Readings
FC: 0 CC: 0
PH: 7.5
CYA - 20 (added stabilizer last night to get it up, haven't retested yet)
TA: 190
Salt: < 1000
Cal: 300
Water temp: 59
You shouldn’t “shock” the pool. Just add the appropriate amount of chlorine for your CYA level and keep it there. Your pH will rise fast with that TA so it’s up to you to try and lower it first or not. It’ll come down on its own as you manage the pH. You really need chlorine in the water first before messing with the TA.

You may see some calcium scale flakes from the SWCG with that pool water chemistry. If you do, just work the TA lower by adjusting the pH down when it rises.

Reactions: Dman1191
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.