Do I need a timer for my SWCG?

Jun 29, 2012
Moved from this thread... Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

Only timer you need with a VS pump is if you have a SWCG. Unless you use automation, the SWCG must have a timer to ensure it is powered off when the pump is scheduled to be not operating.

My currently setup has a timer that does not turn off SWCG when pump is shut down. Installer said this is because my aqua-rite detects no flow and won't generate. It's been running like this for a few years so I 'think' we're okay. Does this sound like problem to you?

Jim,

Well it is kind of like driving around with your air bags turned off... Not at all a problem until you have an accident... :p

Although it is rare, salt cells can actually explode... To prevent this cells have two safety devices... The Primary safety device is that the power is removed when the pump is off.. The Secondary safety device is the flow switch.

I don't 'think' you are ok, but it is up to you how you want to operate your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Moved from this thread... Do I need a timer for my new variable speed pump?

My currently setup has a timer that does not turn off SWCG when pump is shut down. Installer said this is because my aqua-rite detects no flow and won't generate. It's been running like this for a few years so I 'think' we're okay. Does this sound like problem to you?

Yes, this could cause a problem. My flow switch got stuck together and it was always generating even when the pump was off. It caused all kind of problems with my salinity readings and I would get low salt and check cell warnings.

That mechanical flow switch on your Aqua-Rite is the weakest point of your system. Mine lasted exactly one year and a day (so-long guarantee period!), and then failed closed, leaving my cell in operation overnight after my VS pump shut down on its internal timer. At that time, I was still a pool noob, and detected the problem after only a day or so because I couldn't leave anything alone. Although I had no catastrophic failure, the internal plastic vanes in my cell must have got pretty warm, because they aren't straight any more.

My bent-vane cell still produces chlorine over a year later, but I could have lost a $400 cell or worse because the cheap mechanical switch crapped out. The Aqua-Rite installation instructions clearly state that the system MUST be on a timer, as the switch is considered an auxiliary safety device, not a primary shutoff.
I should have stomped into my pool contractor's office and demanded that they fix the problem, but it was their electrical subcontractor that did it, and I had already stomped in there multiple times for other problems.

After a bit of reading on this site, I added a current-sensing relay that I bought from Amazon to the supply leads to the Aqua-Rite. If my pump isn't drawing sufficient amps. my Aqua-Rite won't come on. The relay fit in the box, and the city permit gestapo isn't even aware of it. It's a solution that enables the VS speed pump to retain power for its brain/timers overnight and doesn't require another box on the side of my wall, electrical permits and a couple hours of electrician time.

Other people here have done the same thing - do a search for more information.

Here's my post from 2016, when I did it.

I'm in the same boat, I just installed a SWG but I have no external timer.

Right now I'm running my pump 24/7 at 1600 RPM which is high enough to trip the flow sensor on the SWG. I've got the SWG set on a fairly low percentage (38%).

My concern is does this setup have any impact long term on the longevity of the salt system? I know the salt cell really cares about duty cycle, so that is fine. But would my controller be better off and last longer if it was powered off 12 hours a day and just running the cell on a higher duty cycle?

I'm in the same boat, I just installed a SWG but I have no external timer.

Right now I'm running my pump 24/7 at 1600 RPM which is high enough to trip the flow sensor on the SWG. I've got the SWG set on a fairly low percentage (38%).

My concern is does this setup have any impact long term on the longevity of the salt system? I know the salt cell really cares about duty cycle, so that is fine. But would my controller be better off and last longer if it was powered off 12 hours a day and just running the cell on a higher duty cycle?

te,

I can't see where it much of a difference one way or the other... I run my system 24/7 just because I like making a little chlorine all the time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My mechcanical timer turns on my pump and swg control panel at same time. I personally wouldnt use a mechanical timer to control the swg. I would power a control relay off of the pump power and when the relay energizes it can turn on and off the swg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My mechanical timer was often out of sync with time, due to power outages or me powering down the breakers and forgetting to reset the timer clock. I also had a problem with the little lugs coming loose and getting pushed around the dial until they hit the next lug, so that the thing connected to the timer was either on all the time or off all the time, depending on which lug came loose. I would never use a mechanical timer for a SWG because it is not reliable enough. (I'm talking about those Intermatic timers with the yellow dials.)

You need to connect the pump to terminals #1+#3 and the SWG up to terminals #2+#4. Then the pump has constant power and the SWG comes on when the mechanical timer is set.

All the programming is stored in the pumps memory. If there is no power to the pump, it uses a small internal watch type battery to retain the information. With no electricity being constantly supplied, the battery will be used up more quickly, eventually die, and the programming lost. With no programming, the the pump will not know when to come on, so it won't. That will lead to multiple problems. Right?

Mech timer turns on pump and swg at the same time
I still don't get it, sorry. All the programming is stored in the pumps memory. If there is no power to the pump, it uses a small internal watch type battery to retain the information. With no electricity being constantly supplied, the battery will be used up more quickly, eventually die, and the programming lost. With no programming, the the pump will not know when to come on, so it won't. That will lead to multiple problems. Right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.