Do I actually have a flow issue?

imjeffxp

May 23, 2022
New York
The pool came with the house and I've recently replaced the Hayward 1.5hp single speed pump with a Black & Decker 1.5hp VS pump. I installed a Blue-White Residential Pool Flow Meter for 1.50" Pipe before the replacement to get an idea of what flow I was getting. I believe it was around 40 gpm which didn't seem great but I may have installed the meter slightly less than perpendicular so I wonder if I may be getting some incorrect readings. Then did some research and learned that I'd be better off with a VS pump and running it at a lower speed to be more energy efficient and save on electricity costs. After installing the new pump I'm still getting about 40 gpm on max 3450 RPM, and at 2450 rpm I'm getting 30 gpm so I'm wondering if I'm having flow issues. It just seems low compared to some other posts I've read on here. Any thoughts on what could be the cause?

Things I've done since becoming a pool owner:
  • Deep clean/replaced sand in the filter last season before closing the pool
  • Replaced the MPV
  • Replaced the pump
  • Re-piped some areas that had leaks
  • Fixed a collapsed pipe beneath one of the skimmers
  • Bought a TF test kit
  • Balanced FC, CYA, pH, TA (no need for CH I believe since it's vinyl)
  • Backwashed many times since opening this season (we get a lot of pine needles dropping from neighboring trees :cry:)
Can't seem to figure out if I have a problem or not. Pressure at clean is usually around 20 psi which seems high but I've tried backwashing for 3-5min and that's where it seems to settle. Also got a new pressure gauge to rule out any fault there. Starting to wonder if it's other piping issues that are inaccessible without lots of digging :(. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Edit: Wanted to add that I have 1.5" piping
Edit 2: Pool is clean and looks great. I just want to be as energy efficient as possible!

i,

So, tell me why you care what the flow is? I have no idea what my flow is and don't care.

As long as everything works, what is the point?

Do your skimmers work? Do you feel a "good" flow of water back to your pool?

What is the issue you are trying to solve?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply. To be honest I'm not even sure. Everything does seem to be working, but I guess I'm disappointed by the readings I have versus what some others get. Also there's a performance curve in the manual that seems to show that I'm getting some less than ideal flows. But if flow doesn't matter then I don't think there's anything that needs to be solved. The pool has been one problem after the next so I'm in the mindset that there's always a problem somewhere. Maybe there isn't anything left which is a good thing?

1653665938144.png

Jeff,

I am not a flow chart kind of guy but have to assume the graph is related to just the pump, and not when the pump is installed in your plumbing.

Plus, the accuracy of most flow gauges that we can afford, is not all that great.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.