Disposing of Old Bottles of Muriatic Acid

The bottles will deteriorate eventually. I've been buying my Muriatic Acid from a Home Depot near me, and they have had the same lot numbers there since last year. The "display" out in the garden center is utterly terrible. It looks like a chemical dump of two pallets of the stuff. The boxes are brittle and some of the bottles look suspect.

I have been getting them to give me 50% off this whole season, just by showing a manager the condition.

With your vinyl pool, does your Ph even rise very much? If not, you may think about giving some to someone with a plaster pool who WILL use it before the bottles break down. You can't even use it to clean your filter because you have a sand filter.

I recycle well-rinsed jugs of MA & LC with my other plastics. Does anyone think they are too tainted by their former contents to do this?

Hmmm, I have to admit, I never considered rinsing out my MA bottles before throwing them in the recycle can. I dilute my acid 1:1 in my IntellipH. I dump in a gallon of acid, then fill the same container with water and then dump that in. So I guess that's a rinse. But I can do another in the pool, so I will.

I learn something every day here...

(Yes, yes, I know I'm mixing acid and water in the wrong order, but it's the safest way, believe me I've tried every other way.)

@Sallie, be sure to store containers of MA (new or old) well away from anything metal. They can vent acid fumes that will attack and corrode metal, even if the jugs have never been opened. Don't keep them in your garage or in a shed. I store mine in an all plastic yard box, outside, in a well ventilated area of my yard, with nothing in the box that isn't plastic. Suncast makes great yard boxes for this. Some come with metal hinges, but some models don't have any metal, like this one.

IMG_3617.jpg

I transport my acid jugs inside an all-plastic bucket. I never open the jugs outside of the bucket, and I place the bucket hanging over the edge of the pool before lifting the jug out, only over the water. After dispensing acid, the jug goes right back into the bucket. The jug, open or closed, is never over anything but the bucket or the pool water. I learned this trick from a seasoned pro that regularly handles dangerous chemicals.

I used to carelessly handle and carry acid jugs and measuring cups full of acid over my concrete deck, many years ago. The stains from an accidental slosh are still there to this day.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Sallie, be sure to store containers of MA (new or old) well away from anything metal. They can vent acid fumes that will attack and corrode metal, even if the jugs have never been opened. Don't keep them in your garage or in a shed. I store mine in an all plastic yard box, outside, in a well ventilated area of my yard, with nothing in the box that isn't plastic. Suncast makes great yard boxes for this. Some come with metal hinges, but some models don't have any metal, like this one.

View attachment 531005

I transport my acid jugs inside an all-plastic bucket. I never open the jugs outside of the bucket, and I place the bucket hanging over the edge of the pool before lifting the jug out, only over the water. After dispensing acid, the jug goes right back into the bucket. The jug, open or closed, is never over anything but the bucket or the pool water. I learned this trick from a seasoned pro that regularly handles dangerous chemicals.

I used to carelessly handle and carry acid jugs and measuring cups over my concrete deck, many years ago. The stains from an accidental slosh are still there to this day.
I have a small pool, so I only need 1 gallon of MA on hand at any time. It lives inside a home depot bucket with the lid on, behind the shed. I grab the bucket, and take it over to the pool. Pop the lid off the home depot bucket, grab the jug of MA, and pour it right next to the pool. Back into the home depot bucket it goes, lid goes on, and back behind the shed. Minimal handling, no moving with an open container. Only "risk" would be the potential build up of fumes inside the home depot bucket. I may drill a couple tiny holes to let it vent.

I rarely use MA - infact I am finally almost done with the last bottle from a 2pack I bought well over 5 years ago. It’s container’s integrity makes me nervous so I’m deploying a bucket method as we speak!

• Love
Reactions: Dirk
Does your pH not rise much?
My pH has been 7.4 all year.

pH rise is mainly caused by...
  • High TA
  • Low pH
  • New plaster (up to a couple years)
  • Aeration (i.e. using water features, spa etc.)
  • High TA fill water (causing high TA, see above)
pH rise can be minimized by...
  • Lowering TA to 60-80
  • Using a solar cover (less CO2 outgassing)
  • Not running water features

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirk and AW139
Lot's of great information here. I need to change how I store my MA. It's on a shelf in my garage. I like the 5 gallon bucket and lid solution. Also did not realize the bottles get brittle over time. Mine is probably 5 year old. I may use a cup or two a year at most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.