Dirty Pool! HELP!

YAY improvements! The SLAM is working! Keep topping off that FC, brushing, and following the rest of the best SLAM Process practices and and the improvements have no choice but to continue! What criteria are you using to know when to backwash?

My filter usually sits around 10-12psi, so I tend to backwash when it gets upwards of 18-20. Honestly, I'm not really sure if that's the right thing to do. I have noticed A LOT of yucky brown water coming out with the backwashes I've done.

Best thing to do is backwash when your pressure increases by around 20-25%.
100% agree! This info available on this pool school page, a very helpful read in your situation. Backwashing too soon or not soon enough slows down the cleaning - so waiting until 18-20 is slowing you down a lot - so yay more improvements to come! Be sure to read the part about backwash, rinse, backwash, rinse and the timing of each. I didn't know that until TFP taught me, and it helped me clear my swamp!

Sounds like you are making some progress.... just a bit of encouragement from me... if you can't check every 2 hours, then check every 4... maintaining that FC at your shock level is KEY.

Take it one step at a time. My pool looked similar to yours, it took me 2 weeks to get it "opened" for swimming, so as JJ said.. pool owner patience as well as pool owner expectations will be a major part of keeping your head and morale in the game.

Please post a pic every day or every other day so the pros can see the progress.

We are all cheering for ya!

Some people recommend ignoring the pressure gauge & backwashing when the flow through the returns is diminished. We want the filter to catch the small particles. If you still have good flow through the returns at 18 - 20 then that's where I'd continue to backwash. It sure looks like what you're doing is working.

Some people recommend ignoring the pressure gauge & backwashing when the flow through the returns is diminished. We want the filter to catch the small particles. If you still have good flow through the returns at 18 - 20 then that's where I'd continue to backwash. It sure looks like what you're doing is working.

TFP definitely does not recommend ignoring the pressure gauge. We recommend backwashing your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure as shown here, Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Won't let me upload a new photo, apparently I'm over my quota? Not sure there's a way around it.

I do see some improvement in clarity. Had to add some more liquid chlorine this evening.

What do we think of HTH stain and metal control for my problem? I have read some miracle stories but also some "my water turned green forever" stories. Not sure on thoughts on a last ditch effort to make clear for Saturday (was hoping to have a big family BBQ...), but I don't want to undo all the work I've put in already.

Thanks for the encouragement and expertise!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only ways to speed up the SLAM are:
1) brush more often like as often as you want, no limit - walls and floor - vac once a day
2) test FC using 10mL sample size & instructions (skip CC) more often and bring FC back up to shock more often. You can do it every 30 minutes until it doesn't change, then every 60 minutes until it doesn't change, then every 90 mins or 2 hrs, etc. If you have to leave for work in the AM, while not official TFP practice, and certainly not financially efficient, I have, once or twice, added an extra 4ppm above shock figuring the algae and sun would have it back under shock way before it would hurt my plaster (but i do not know how tolerant fiberglass is of FC above shock)
3) when you're home and able to watch the pool, add polyfill or socks to the skimmer basket
4) read this so you know about it and are prepared if we tell you it needs to be done, hopefully not
5) read this, same reason, hopefully not

- - - Updated - - -

Double check - still filtering 24/7 and I would NOT add anything but bleach/chlorine and fill water as needed until my water got to cloudy white blue (then we can discuss the add DE or cellulose fiber options I mentioned in #5

- - - Updated - - -

I can't tell you if it will be swim ready by your party, but I can tell you that the more often you #1 and #2 - the better your chances

If you don't want to mess with photo sites and links, please consider becoming a TFP Supporter via a tax-deductible donation to the 501(C)(3) charitable organization that keeps the site online! If you donate $30 you earn an increased photo storage limit of roughly 40x what you have now, up to Gold which is roughly 80x what you have now at the $100 donation level. We're glad you're here, donation or not, but if you're at a place in life where you can afford to support the cause in the form of a one time donation, please consider doing so.

You can also delete one of the photos you've already uploaded here, but then we don't get to see the progress at each step. Up to you.

Hello, JamieMartin. I was in your exact situation about a month ago. These people here "held my hand" and walked me through the SLAM process and kept me on the "straight and narrow"!! I am very happy with the results. I don't know how to link to my thread, but if you look for "Volley Ball court or Horseshoe Pit" it might provide some encouragement! I too was inpatient and was expecting immediate results, but they taught me POP! BTW, I see you are in VA. I use Food Lion brand, regular bleach(8.25%) to maintain my pool. Works great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.