Dirty Pool! HELP!

Unfortunately, your swamp was just too much to turn around in a few days. I will say you have helped me by being another data point that will help me have a better idea when to tell a new person, "look the SLAM could work in time, but you know what, in this exact situation, you may have better odds having a pool for your party if you do a siphon vac/sub pump/trash pump and throw away your bottom 12-48 inches of water and refill, then SLAM as diligently as humanly possible - every hour counts, so wither SLAM asap or drain asap then slam - either way, no one in the world can guarantee this will be enough time to guarantee a sanitary pool, too many variables."

I hope the silver lining is that you see the value in maintaining the correct FC for your current CYA and preventing green from every troubling you again and having to use the pool store magic potions - even the ones that seemed very helpful in the past - if their expenses and risks can be avoided now, why not right? The pictures prove you're on the right track, no doubt at all. You might want to print them and show your guests how the water is improving everyday, and you are assured victory, and it will be crystal for the next party! In the mean time - I wish you the best in your party prep, delicious food, good conversation, and good times.

Kudos for getting the pool not losing much FC in 4 hours, that's a major improvement! You'll see the color improve faster and faster!

Well, guys. Still working on this pool. Color is MUCH better than last week, clarity is improving, but still not where it needs to be!

Updated levels:
TA 90
pH 7.0
CYA 60
CH 70
FC 13
CC 0.5

Updated photo.

Just added 211 oz of 10% bleach. I continue to brush/vacuum at least once daily. I think I'm still on the right track, but MAN is this taking FOREVER! I've never had so much trouble opening our pool. I have tried the "magic paper towel" trick (putting paper towels in the skimmer) with some success. Not sure if there is something I'm missing. Once this pool is open, that first dip is going to feel sooooooooo good!

Thanks for the help as always!

You definitely seem to be making progress. Stay the course and pretty soon you will be in maintenance mode. I finished up my SLAM a few weeks ago and have had nothing but clear and sparkly water since. It has totally been worth it! Good luck and keep up the good work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahh now that is some beautiful progress!!!! Thank you for staying the course! I know you'll probably keep it clear once you finish, but I suggest people to make a note how long it takes your pump to clear a swamp, you know, in case you ever get tempted to let it go again.

Now that the pool is normal looking, I can see the awesome grill/smoker, the chairs, the hammock, and a really fun back yard all around! Amazing what a difference green to blue makes!

I agree that adding DE or CF can speed up clearing, and when sand filters are undersized, substantially, but if you have a reasonably sized filter, it will achieve clear water by itself eventually. No matter what you do, it is super important to keep SLAMing including brushing/vac. You should continue to see daily progress in photos. If this stalls, that's a red flag.

Please post test results.

Have you used any solid chlorine or all bleach? The only times I've seen things go backwards during a SLAM were:
(and not saying you did any of these, but in case it did happen, I'm sure you want to know)
1. someone added yellow out/green out/swamp treat/other quick fix magic potion
2. old bleach / bleach stored in sunlight / hot box
3. switched to cal hypo/trichlor/dichlor/lithhypo/etc. without letting us know
4. excessive rain and infrequent FC testing/dosing
5. FC testing manual testing error (ie rushing drops, sloppy water sample size, not enough powder to turn and keep solid pink, bottle not vertical, kept test kit outdoors)
6. Went down to one FC test/add per day and/or stopped brushing
7. Stopped running filter 24/7
8. Dead animal in skimmer
9. Had significant water loss event (extended backwash, displacement) and refilled with collected rainwater that had algae already in storage bin
10. Found a new source of algae and kicked it up while brushing (step vertical walls, corners, light, ladder, bottom they couldn't reach before new pole)
11. Added stabilizer and didn't adjust shock FC (either CYA, trichlor, or dichlor all raise CYA)

Pictures are clear, but to my eye/lighting, I wasn't able to tell if it was just cloudier or actually greener. What does it look like to you?

pH 7.0
FC 31
CC 1.0
TA 60
CYA 60
CH 70

We did have a pretty decent rainstorm and my bleach is kept outside, but other than that, no changes that you listed. It is definitely greener. Clarity isn't that much different, maybe slightly more cloudy, but not too much.

Thank you for the test results. PH test isn't valid if FC is over 10, so skip that test and save your testing chems. TA is good, so let's skip testing that for a while. CH fine, also skip.

That CC of 1.0 in the evening isn't what we want to see, especially if you've been diligent about keeping FC above 20. I'm going to invite an expert to this thread, I'm not 100% sure what to tell you, and we don't like guessing around here. Hang in there for me.

You getting there, it just takes time :)

you can try using some DE in your sand filter, only enough to bring you PSI up by 1, so if your at 9, stop at 10 PSI.. Most use "about" a cup

A few more thoughts today:
1. Keep the water about halfway up the skimmer, add as needed
2. Are you able to run the filter 24/7 right now or only less?
3. Have there been days where you've only been able to test once or less?
4. I remember another thread where we eventually discovered there was an error in the FAS-DPD testing procedure the pool owner was doing - either it was wrong way counting drops or using the wrong multiplier or just a math error that effected all their tests

We can eliminate #4 if you share your next FC and CC readings with us, then tell us how much and what % bleach you add, then retest after 20-30 and share that new FC and CC results.

Let's make sure everything is on track towards your TFP!

A few more thoughts today:
1. Keep the water about halfway up the skimmer, add as needed
2. Are you able to run the filter 24/7 right now or only less?
3. Have there been days where you've only been able to test once or less?
4. I remember another thread where we eventually discovered there was an error in the FAS-DPD testing procedure the pool owner was doing - either it was wrong way counting drops or using the wrong multiplier or just a math error that effected all their tests

We can eliminate #4 if you share your next FC and CC readings with us, then tell us how much and what % bleach you add, then retest after 20-30 and share that new FC and CC results.

Let's make sure everything is on track towards your TFP!

1. Water is less than halfway up the skimmer. I am adding water almost daily. I am pretty sure we have a leak in the underground pipes going from the skimmer to the filter.
2. Filter still running 24/7.
3. I am testing three to four times daily (7A, 430P, 630P, 930P) during the weekdays and more frequently on the weekends.
4. FC 21.5 (got by filling to 10mL mark, adding two scoops of powder, then 43 drops of reagent), CC of 0 (never turned back pink). Plugged into PoolMath (screenshot) and then added a gallon (128oz) of 10% bleach. I put in CYA of 70 into PoolMath just in case I am undershooting my CYA reading.

Do you think I should add more DE?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.