Dirt getting back into pool when pump first turns on.

SteveM

Apr 23, 2011
Hello, I got a little problem I been dealing with the last few months

I am in Arizona, we have a in-ground pebble tec pool and for the last 14 years the pool has been very easy to maintain and keep the water clear. I started to notice a few months back that it started to get cloudly/green I would clean the DE filters run the pump for about 24 and it would completely clear back up for about a week and it would start again.

My first problem I know after doing research I guess I need to probably drain the pool and start w fresh water as it’s been many years.

My second problem I am seeing. After the pool is completely clear, Once the pump kicks on I get some of the green debris from the de filter coming back into the pool so I am assuming that’s what’s causing the pool to get the green algae/cloudy look after a few days.

I have checked all my de cartridges and none seem to have a rip, I also just replaced the gasket that the cartridge manifold sits on and still I get some debris coming from the jets when the pump first turns on. What else should I look for on why this is happening.

I attached a picture of one of my grids after two weeks of cleaning. I got the pool crystal clear, cleaned the filters the next day again added DE and two weeks later this is the result.

I have a Hayward pro grid filter

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpeg
    IMG_8125.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8126.jpeg
    IMG_8126.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 13
It certainly looks like algae, which is a chlorine issue not a filter issue. A lot of people think their filter plays a role in killing algae, but chlorine does that. The filter just filters out floating particles including dust, dirt, dead algae, pollen, etc.

How do you test your water?
How do you chlorinate your pool?
Have you added any algaecides, or anything blue, which is generally copper?

Reactions: HermanTX
whenever something seemed off I would go get a water test at my local ace hardware.

For chlorine it’s always just been tablets from big box stores.

About a month ago I added some algaecide, same thing I cleaned everything, added algaecide per instructions etc then cleaned everything again. Haven’t added anything since.

You have an algae problem and no matter how often you clean the filter, you will continue to have algae until you straighten out sanitation issue. You need to do your own testing - and stop buying pool store potions. For the cost of what you already spent on potions, please purchase a proper test kit - Test Kits Compared

Tablets are not your friend for the long term - best that you switch to liquid chlorine. You need to get the chlorine up to counteract the algae. Please read the SLAM Process as that is the proper way to rid the pool of algae.

whenever something seemed off I would go get a water test at my local ace hardware.

For chlorine it’s always just been tablets from big box stores.

About a month ago I added some algaecide, same thing I cleaned everything, added algaecide per instructions etc then cleaned everything again. Haven’t added anything since.
How are the tablets being used, floating chlorinator, off-line feeder ? They dissolve too slowly to effectively kill an algae bloom. As fast as the chlorine is released it is used up by the algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.