Digital Ph Guage

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Does anyone use one of those digital read out Ph gauges??? Just wondering if they are worth the money.

They look pretty convenient other than the fact that they need to be calibrated occasionally.

d,

I had a couple of cheap ones and found that they have to be calibrated.. a lot...

It was not worth the effort for me..

I am not a fan of the small pH test tube that comes with the TF-100. I use a cheap pH drop test kit that has a very large cylinder and find that it makes my pH testing much easier for my old eyes to read...

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have trouble reading the red-pink spectrum and don't have an acid-demand kit, they can be okay but will need much more frequent calibration than you expect.

I started using one for quick checks inside my winter dome earlier this winter when air temps would be too low not to spoil my reagents but found quickly that I used a lot of calibration 7.0 solution to check and recalibrate. So, as a user of both, I don't really find the meter "easier" per se once you factor in the frequent need for calibration. For me in the winter though, it allows me to check right in the pool without having to drag my test kit box into the dome.

Does anyone use one of those digital read out Ph gauges??? Just wondering if they are worth the money.

They look pretty convenient other than the fact that they need to be calibrated occasionally.
Never used one, but doesn't really seem worth it for what is basically the easiest test of them all. Fill tube, add 5 drops, invert a couple times, hold up to light and compare color.

d,

I had a couple of cheap ones and found that they have to be calibrated.. a lot...

It was not worth the effort for me..

I am not a fan of the small pH test tube that comes with the TF-100. I use a cheap pH drop test kit that has a very large cylinder and find that it makes my pH testing much easier for my old eyes to read...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hmm. I see that's something nobody here ever talks about when comparing text kits. I looked up the TF-100 pH test, which uses a Taylor K-1000 test kit. The Taylor K-2006 test kit comes with a better looking pH test. It's much bigger (44 mL sample), and the back of the tube is "dimpled" to match the "dimples" on the color samples, so the tube matches pretty spot on with the color samples in looks. Only way I could see it being better is the much more expensive slide comparator.

I tried the pH meter and agree about calibration frequency being too much. But I haven't completely given up on it and will work with it again this spring when it's warmer outside.

I do not find pH the easiest test. For those of us whose pH rides on the high side, the color distinctions from ~7.7 to 8+ are difficult to read with confidence. On those days when I'm really unsure of the color, my working solution is to sort of "triangulate" using more than one of the following: the larger 9056 comparator block (has 7.6, 7.8, 8.0 color markings), the smaller 9782 comparator block (has 7.5, 7.8, 8.2 color markings), and the acid demand test in either one or both of these 2 comparator blocks. My test kit was kluged over time, so I have the different reagents for these 2 blocks.

I find ph the most difficult to test. Of course, some days I wear one brown sock and one black sock to work without knowing it. So you can see why I'm looking into a digital meter...

Funny I ran into this Thread. I just ordered one made by DILISS. I read good reviews on it. Will let you know how it works once I receive it. I agree, the Ph is the most difficult to read. The CyA is a close second.

I find ph the most difficult to test. Of course, some days I wear one brown sock and one black sock to work without knowing it. So you can see why I'm looking into a digital meter...

:) I find the salmon-to-pink variations hard to distinguish while the yellow-to-orange variations on the low end of the pH scale are easier for me. I imagine some people have the opposite strength, or even have difficulty with the whole scale.

If budget isn't a concern (esp if you find the meter unhelpful), I recommend getting a digital gauge and adding it to your testing arsenal. I bought the $15 one from TFTestkits:

pH Meter

Thanks for the feedback. I decided I'm going to go ahead and try out a ph tester this year.

I decided to go with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESYG6X8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ITSCRLZ5LMRC8&colid=1BL7L38JJB7AI&psc=0

It's made by Apera who makes some pretty high end scientific instruments
Easy push button/one solution calibration - rather than using a little screwdriver
It's waterproof and floatable - just in case..
The replacement calibration solution is only ten bucks for 8 oz
Auto temperature compensation
2 year warranty and comes w a nice carrying case

I wont be opening my pool for a few months but I will report back on how I like it when I start to use it.

d,

Just make sure that you verify the results you get with some other test kit from time to time..

The main problem I had is that I started to "assume" the digital tester was always correct, but soon found that was far from the truth..

Maybe I should have had a calibration schedule, but, sadly that is that is just not me.. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.