Digital Water Tester

Unfortunately you would have been better off investing your money on the smart stir and an Aussie gold kit for a pH comparator upgrade.
Have always been interested in a smart stir, but have never followed up with one. Which brand does everyone use? That is one of the issues I have with drop tests is dropping, shaking and counting, while also trying to see a change in colour etc

Cheers,
John

That is one of the issues I have with drop tests is dropping, shaking and counting, while also trying to see a change in colour etc
Stirring devices are the bees knees and lets you focus on getting repeatable drops while it does all the work. Amazon has 100 styles. We like Taylor which makes both the smart stir and speed stir. The Taylor one fits the vials we already have and is reasonably priced.

I've had both. At first I didn't like the smart stir when I got it because change. (Amirite?)

But it's less bulky and now I prefer it.

Reactions: johnmw1
Size and shape. They function the same with only a light button and a power button.

I'm sorry i mis spoke. The smart stir isn't Taylor, it's from Ciblanc. It's rounded where the Taylor speed stir is square. Maybe it's in my head but the Ciblanc smart stir seemed smaller.

Yes, Apera is a lot more of a pro setup than what I seem to have. I got minimal instructions and certainly no mention of keeping the probes moist with my brand.

Cheers,
John

All pH-probes work by the same principle. They should not be allowed to dry out.

There's not just a sticky label stuck on, but actual dyed plastic. And you fill it all the way, so you don't have to hold it horizontally to actually make a colour comparison. It also goes to 8.0 rather than 7.8.
Seems like the one I need to try, so thanks for that.

All pH-probes work by the same principle. They should not be allowed to dry out.
I think I was conned perhaps.

Here is a link to a pool tester that came with the Aldi version of the digital pool tester. Pool Set Pty Ltd

Cheers,
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have always been interested in a smart stir, but have never followed up with one. Which brand does everyone use? That is one of the issues I have with drop tests is dropping, shaking and counting, while also trying to see a change in colour etc

Cheers,
John
The smart stir and speed stir are essentially the same thing but produced and marketed from different companies. CCL have the smart stir and something similar can also be found on ebay. The speed stir is a Taylor product and a little hard to get in AU. The only down side is that you’ll wish you had one from the beginning. These things are battery operated magnetic stirrers that have been adapted to suit our graduated cylinders.
On ebay search ‘magnetic stirrer battery’, I have a little impulse buy mains powered (12V) bench top designed for small beakers that works ok but still prefer my speedstir that I’ve had for years.

That is the speed stir or smart stir which makes the drop testing more reliable and easier to do. The other item we’re taking about is a pH comparator. I think the Taylor or Aussie Gold are easier to read then the CCL one and the larger size give you options for making it easier to read such as an edited photo or a view card as per my previous post. And we always read or compare the pH comparator infront of a white background. I’m lucky as one of my windows is a light box.

I know, it is still a colour comparison and that can be tricky with colour blindness but it is essentially a transition of shades with a transition around 7.6. Below 7.6 it goes from orange to yellow. Above 7.6 it goes from orange to shades of purple. Above 8.0 is just >8.0, I calculate my acid does based on 8.2 to 7.6 and then test again the next day if I remember.

You will notice I list a pH meter and salt meter in my signature but I only use the pH meter on rare chemistry geek moments and never without calibration. I use my salt meter every test but I‘m really just measuring change over time rather than an absolute figure. A dedicated salt meter is really a conductance meter that is measuring tiny voltage potential of a liquid. It then applies a “best guess” conversion factor to give an answer as TDS or salt. I have found that salt meters do hold a calibration quite well. I have cross referenced my meter with the Taylor salt test (same as the CCL salt test) that is a direct measure of the chloride ion (Cl-). I’m confident that I’m within a coo wee of an actual level and my SWG is happy.

I wouldn’t be confident relying on any electronic meter without careful calibration. Unfortunately, and while the seem handy and look fancy, the multi meters have problems with calibration. Theres a bunch of different calibration fluids reqiured that are not really compatible. And then there’s the cost and compromise on components to keep the cost down.

Last edited:
How so does the Taylor comparator differ from the CCL, I may have to invest in one.

Cheers,
John
More recently MrPoolman has listed some of the Taylor gear. They have the Taylor pH comparator. Not cheep but thats relative. I suspect it may be drop shipped from Taylor in the US. I bought the K2006c and it was drop shipped from the US. A cheeper option would be the Aussie gold kit. I‘ve used the Aussie gold and BlueDevil which are the same but I prefer the Taylor.

It probably doesn’t make much difference but the Aussie gold and Taylor comparator as listed below are a pH / chlorine tablet combo while the comparator that I have and comes with the K2006 is the pH / CyA combo.

The smart stir and speed stir are essentially the same thing but produced and marketed from different companies. CCL have the smart stir and something similar can also be found on ebay. The speed stir is a Taylor product and a little hard to get in AU. The only down side is that you’ll wish you had one from the beginning. These things are battery operated magnetic stirrers that have been adapted to suit our graduated cylinders.
On ebay search ‘magnetic stirrer battery’, I have a little impulse buy mains powered (12V) bench top designed for small beakers that works ok but still prefer my speedstir that I’ve had for years.

That is the speed stir or smart stir which makes the drop testing more reliable and easier to do. The other item we’re taking about is a pH comparator. I think the Taylor or Aussie Gold are easier to read then the CCL one and the larger size give you options for making it easier to read such as an edited photo or a view card as per my previous post. And we always read or compare the pH comparator infront of a white background. I’m lucky as one of my windows is a light box.

I know, it is still a colour comparison and that can be tricky with colour blindness but it is essentially a transition of shades with a transition around 7.6. Below 7.6 it goes from orange to yellow. Above 7.6 it goes from orange to shades of purple. Above 8.0 is just >8.0, I calculate my acid does based on 8.2 to 7.6 and then test again the next day if I remember.

You will notice I list a pH meter and salt meter in my signature but I only use the pH meter on rare chemistry geek moments and never without calibration. I use my salt meter every test but I‘m really just measuring change over time rather than an absolute figure. A dedicated salt meter is really a conductance meter that is measuring tiny voltage potential of a liquid. It then applies a “best guess” conversion factor to give an answer as TDS or salt. I have found that salt meters do hold a calibration quite well. I have cross referenced my meter with the Taylor salt test (same as the CCL salt test) that is a direct measure of the chloride ion (Cl-). I’m confident that I’m within a coo wee of an actual level and my SWG is happy.

I wouldn’t be confident relying on any electronic meter without careful calibration. Unfortunately, and while the seem handy and look fancy, the multi meters have problems with calibration. Theres a bunch of different calibration fluids reqiured that are not really compatible. And then there’s the cost and compromise on components to keep the cost down.
Thanks Steve, for the very comprehensive write-up. Yes, I will ditch the digital tester which Mr Poolman sold me.

Cheers,
John

I saw your review on Mr Poolman. Pricing here in Australia sucks.

Cheers,
John
Yeh it does, postage is a real killer too. I got mine for just over $400, there $540 now. o_O

Dont be too quick to toss that meter. I’m thinking you’ll be able to use the salt function and temperature. Ignore the pH, TDS and ORP. What does the salt function calibrate at?