Differences between various Circupool SWGs and a few other questions around SWG

dmckeever

Mar 15, 2021
Houston, Tx
Currently strongly considering a SWG, but having a little trouble figuring out the correct size, and the differences between the various models. Currently 10k gallon pool is very stable/clear and no issues with chemistry. keep CC at 8ppm with CYA 50, add 32oz of 10% bleach daily to replace ~ 3ppm chlorine loss, and 8oz muriatic acid a week to take it from 7.8 to 7.5. TA pretty stable at 80, CH around 400. Currently run our main pump 10 hrs day at 1750 rpm.

Trying to find the right size SWG and lb/day capacity needed. Best I can figure, i need to add 4oz of SWG chlorine a day to maintain the 3ppm loss? so a CORE 35 is 1.4lbs/day so i'd need to run it 4.28 hrs/day to get the 4oz? Is that correct? Any issue supplementing heavy pool days (dogs+extra people) with liquid chlorine on infrequent basis?

And really can't figure out the difference between the various model #s for circupool. Due to my DIY skills and the controller/display built in i'm leaning towards using a CORE model (it looks idiot proof installation wise). I notice a lot of people go for the RJ model. Any particular reason?

Don't try to analyze down to the FC per hour or amount per day so much. Those are ideal/controlled ratings anyways. Get am SWG rated for at least 2X the size of your pool and you'll do well. The link below is a great snapshot. Some Circupool models do have more specific output adjustments though, so that may be more important to you.

Reactions: tphaggerty
Use PoolMath Effects of Adding - SWG to calculate FC output.

You really don’t want to run your SWG at 100% every cycle.There is a belief that will wear the plates more then below 80%.

The Core35 will give you 3ppm running at 50% for 8 hours or 100% for 4 hours or someplace in the middle.

There is no logic to the different Circupool models. Circupool imports various Chinese manufactured models from different manufacturers.

The RJ series is popular since it has finer % adjustment then the Core35 25% increments.

If you don't need the precision adjustments, the Core has the benefit of the integrated flow switch. So it appears to be a lot closer to a "drop into your piping and plug it into an outlet" type of set up (disclaimer: lots of research and youtube videos, never actually installed one). In your case, if you're going to vary pump times as well as SWG settings, you can get the ppm dialed in by setting to, say 50%, then run the pump for longer run time to bump up the ppm before stepping to 75%. So the precision adjustments on the RJ may be less necessary for you anyway.

No matter which manufacturer you choose, there are two things to consider when selecting the size. First the values the manufacturers advertise are for 100% in a 24 hour period and in the perfect conditions, most are inflated as to what you get in the real world, and second, I haven't heard anyone complain that their SWCG is too big, but I've heard many people complain that the SWCG is not making enough chlorine (because it's too small). So my advice is to but the biggest SWCG you can afford, dial it back as needed to maintain you levels, and the lower % it runs at the longer it will last. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: tphaggerty
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.