Did I drain too much water from my pool (and hot tub) when closing?

I don't know if that is totally true. I never drain my pool over winter. Never had any tiles pop off. Usually the level doesn't go up to the tile line but it has before. I am actually not sure how the tiles have issues when the water freezes around them. Maybe someone can explain the physics?
Don’t know about all possibilities but sometimes tile installers just dab a blob of thinset on the back and stick the tile on which leaves some parts of the tile without support. Once the water freezes and expands, those unsupported spots can break under pressure. Or if there was a crack in the grout and pool water snuck behind it, once the water freezes and expands on the back of the tile…crack.

Reactions: Newdude
Don’t know about all possibilities but sometimes tile installers just dab a blob of thinset on the back and stick the tile on which leaves some parts of the tile without support. Once the water freezes and expands, those unsupported spots can break under pressure. Or if there was a crack in the grout and pool water snuck behind it, once the water freezes and expands on the back of the tile…crack.
It's entirely possible that this happened. The tile setters they used had no real tile experience. They were not tile setters. They were the same guys that built the pool. I remembered one even telling me that he never did tile until he worked with the pool builder.

This same company left without ever finishing the pool, did shoddy repairs (think using epoxy to fix their plumbing mistakes and leaks instead of redoing the plumbing, made a ton of mistakes along the way, and left my wife and me to fix things they left. Integrity was not one of their ideals. But anyways...

I don't fully know why the tiles cracked. I'm a little nervous about going into winter because I'm not 100% certain what to do. And that makes me uncomfortable - I'm an engineer, can usually work through issues and have a good plan in place...but this issue about water levels, tanning ledge, hot tub, etc... I'm still kinda lost.

What's the question?

I did not see what type of cove4r is being put on the pool or spa.
Pool cover is a thin mesh water permeable cover.

The spa is rigid, not permeable, but in 2 pieces connected by velcro.

Question is really around how high the water level should be in both - I have a shallow tanning ledge, so if I fill it to that, my pool is pretty much full. Is that what I should do?

The pool gained water all winter last year and I didn't know that I should have been pumping water out, so I left it. This past spring when I opened it, I had cracked tiles all over and a crack in the plaster as pictured above.

And the hot tub - should I be putting water into it? It's completely empty after closing.

Thanks.

Bobby

20231101_172649.jpg20231101_172620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the question?
With a shallow tanning ledge, what's the best water level ?

Draining a normal amount will risk the plaster ledge.

Not Draining risks the tile, and will need many drains with a mesh cover. A solid cover or tarp over the mesh fixes the frequent draining issue but not the tile issue.

What does your cover manufacturer say about the required water level to support the cover?

Where does the tanning ledge and steps fall when the water is down 15"-18" from the top of the coping?

Loop-loc says:

During the winter months it is extremely important to make sure your water levels are proper.

The guidelines are as follows:

Mesh covers: 15" – 18" below the top of the swimming pool

Solid covers: 12" – 16" below the top of the of the swimming pool

This is important for supporting the weight of the snow on the cover. Allowing the water levels to drop below the recommendations will put excess stress on the cover, may cause damage, and will void your warranty. We recommend that you clear some snow from your skimmer box and check the water levels and add water when levels are low, or contact your swimming pool professional to come and evaluate for you.

What does your cover manufacturer say about the required water level to support the cover?

Where does the tanning ledge and steps fall when the water is down 15"-18" from the top of the coping?

Loop-loc says:

During the winter months it is extremely important to make sure your water levels are proper.

The guidelines are as follows:

Mesh covers: 15" – 18" below the top of the swimming pool

Solid covers: 12" – 16" below the top of the of the swimming pool

This is important for supporting the weight of the snow on the cover. Allowing the water levels to drop below the recommendations will put excess stress on the cover, may cause damage, and will void your warranty. We recommend that you clear some snow from your skimmer box and check the water levels and add water when levels are low, or contact your swimming pool professional to come and evaluate for you
So, I don't have the exact dimensions because the cover is on. I'm going to see if I can get the tool to remove a few springs.

When the water level is halfway up the skimmers, there is about 5" of water on the tanning ledge and that probably pjts an eqhivalent amount on the highest steps.

I did not know about the water depth specifications for the cover. I'm going to have to look into this.

Basically you should keep your water level during the winter between the bottom of the tile line and 18" below the top of the coping.

And water level not directly on the ledge or steps during freezing conditions. Drain or add water to position the water level below or above the ledge and steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, and I don't need to worry about the plaster on the stairs or tanning ledge to dry out and crack?

Also,how should I handle the hot tub - which is completely empty right now and is separate from the pool plumbing?

Thank you for providing all of this information!

Ok, and I don't need to worry about the plaster on the stairs or tanning ledge to dry out and crack?

No, the plaster is not going to be exposed to the sun to dry out. Under the cover will keep it moist along with water from occasional rains.

Also,how should I handle the hot tub - which is completely empty right now and is separate from the pool plumbing?

Hot tub should be filled back to the same level as the pool - about 18" below the coping.

No, the plaster is not going to be exposed to the sun to dry out. Under the cover will keep it moist along with water from occasional rains.

Hot tub should be filled back to the same level as the pool - about 18" below the coping.
Thank you so much for all of your help. I've got the pool back up now and working on the hot tub and will manage the levels through the winter (which I didn't know I had to do last year). I really appreciate all of the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.