Desert area pools - pucks in summer, liquid in winter?

EndlessSummerAZ

May 18, 2023
Phoenix
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Im trying to figure out the best way to balance my time, money and pool chemistry. In Phoenix, our water temps can be in the upper 80s to 90s during the summer and the sun eats all the chemicals up. My thought was to add the pucks during the summer knowing CYA will rise and then switch to liquid in the winter to level it back out.

Does anyone in the desert areas do this? Are you able to maintain proper FC levels? I just want the most bang for my buck and to spend less time outside maintaining in 110 degrees.

Im trying to figure out the best way to balance my time, money and pool chemistry
Hands down :

With a properly (over) sized unit the 1st one, including pro install, has a 2X ROI and future units don't need the expensive install or control unit so they will ROI from 4X to 8X over liquid chlorine.

Many 2X units produce about 1000 gallons worth of FC. Not having to lug those jugs is a convienence that cannot be overstated. The same is true for adding some LC everyday. Most of us joke we'd fill the pool in before ever going back to jugs. Some legit aren't joking.

The sales tax alone on 1000 jugs at Walmart is $498.96 by me. ($6168.96 total). It pretty much doesn't matter how much it costs to install the SWG, you'll clean up.

Reactions: cznkane
End,

In my opinion, having a Saltwater pool is the only way to go....

I currently have three saltwater pools and I'd just as soon fill them in with dirt, if they could not be saltwater pools. The easiest way to sanitize a pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

SWCG. You will have to add acid about twice per week due to the fill water TA. Best to use softened water for make up water.

SWG pool. If you use pucks you’ll be draining the pool annually to control the CYA levels. Water is expensive here in the desert and you want to conserve its use as much as possible.

In the PHX area - a SWG and a water softener plumbed to your autofill.
Makes it easy to manage your pool water chemistry.

If you don't have automation, an SWG along the lines of the Circupool RJ45+ would work - as would the Hayward AquaRite 940.

This thread is getting stale, but I thought I would add my experience of taking care of my pool for 20+ years in Phoenix. Because our air is so dry, we get so much evaporation, especially in the summer, hence having to fill more often, I have never had CYA get out of bounds (too high) using tablets. I've seen 1 1/2" per day evaporate (no leaks).

This thread is getting stale, but I thought I would add my experience of taking care of my pool for 20+ years in Phoenix. Because our air is so dry, we get so much evaporation, especially in the summer, hence having to fill more often, I have never had CYA get out of bounds (too high) using tablets. I've seen 1 1/2" per day evaporate (no leaks).
I doubt you maintain proper FC/CYA ratio levels.

Evaporation has no effect on CYA levels.

The CYA stays in the water. The water added only drops the CYA level by the miniscule % of the water added.

My weather is far more severe than yours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1. Evaporation slightly raises the CYA content left behind. Then you add water and dilute it back to how it was in the first place.

Each tab raises your CYA and there are no two ways about it. Here's a sample pool for reference. 3.57 tabs raises your CYA 10 in the average sized pool. It's probably a wash with a larger pool that also needs more tabs.

Screenshot_20240311_080213.jpg