Delayed startup?

pcollins22

Aug 7, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
Hi all,

Can’t believe it… Seven weeks after starting my owner build I will soon have a finished pool.

We have pebble tec scheduled for Thursday with acid wash and fill on Friday.

Thing is, our start up appointment is not until Monday when the pump and filter will be kicked on for the first time.

I am planning to brush twice daily, but I’m a little concerned that without the filtration occurring, all the plaster dust is going to settle at the bottom of the pool until Monday.

I plan to follow some advice provided on the forums in regards to managing FC, CYA, TA, etc, but does any of this need to be adapted due to my not having pumps running initially? Anything specific I should be doing in my situation leading up to the start up day?

Brush, brush, brush to keep the plaster dust from settling.

Do you have a submersible pump you can put in one end and the hose in the other end to circulate the water a bit?

Why do you have to wait for someone to put your valves in the correct position and turn on your pump?

If it primes and you do not see any leaks you are good to run it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bperry
Post pictures of your equipmemt pad from a few different angles.

You won't be using the heater for a while.
Salt shouldn't be added for 28+ days.

You can put the automation in service mode and run the pump 24/7.

Consider having the UV system removed or disabled. It will only eat extra chlorine - and electricity - and have little other effect on your pool. That big orange ball in the sky will provide more than enough UV - and for free.

What start up method will you use?
May be about time for @kimkats :kim:to post your personal set of links.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? Test Kits Compared
The TF-Pro Salt would be best for your SWG pool.
If you already have one of the recommemded kits, add it to your signature.

Reactions: pcollins22
You rang??? Here ya go!

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim :kim:

Post pictures of your equipmemt pad from a few different angles.

You won't be using the heater for a while.
Salt shouldn't be added for 28+ days.

You can put the automation in service mode and run the pump 24/7.

Consider having the UV system removed or disabled. It will only eat extra chlorine - and electricity - and have little other effect on your pool. That big orange ball in the sky will provide more than enough UV - and for free.

What start up method will you use?
May be about time for @kimkats :kim:to post your personal set of links.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? Test Kits Compared
The TF-Pro Salt would be best for your SWG pool.
If you already have one of the recommemded kits, add it to your signature.
Thank you

I have a new Taylor salt testing kit that just arrived. That’s a good idea about “service mode”, I need to read up on my Intellicenter as I haven’t yet seen one even turned on! Had planned to wait until my startup visit when the tech will run me through it, but I need to do this before then. I will also not worry about the UV bulb.

If I can ensure I don’t have any of my valves screwed up I would love to have the pumps running 24/7 after filling….

Here’s a few pictures of my equipment pad. I can take better ones tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1D89648F-45C6-4854-B778-3C693F37CFB9.jpeg
    1D89648F-45C6-4854-B778-3C693F37CFB9.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 7DBA80A4-C1ED-45FC-BC66-3925A33D063B.jpeg
    7DBA80A4-C1ED-45FC-BC66-3925A33D063B.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 7
  • A0A1D0DB-EED5-4D5E-904B-3606A89F547C.jpeg
    A0A1D0DB-EED5-4D5E-904B-3606A89F547C.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 7
It is difficult to know where the pipes go without labels and withput being on site.
Is there a schematic for the plumbing and did the plumbers follow it?

In my mind, everything should be completed prior to plaster - plumbing covered, yard at final grade, pipes labeled, decking, etc. Hard to tell from your equipmemt pics, but the under ground plumbing isn't correctly covered, plumbing not labeled at the pad and the yard doesnxt look to be at finished grade. No idea what else may be outstanding.

It may be best to brush as Allen suggested.
If you so chose (after the pool is full), fill the pump baskets with water, replace the lids and turn them on - mainly the pump plumbed to the filter. It appears most valves are set to not block flow to any pipes. Your other option would be to wait until Monday.

Reactions: pcollins22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update:

Was thinking… is there harm in waiting to fill until Saturday AM? Acid wash will be Friday AM. This would decrease the time spent without the pumps running (if it turns out I can’t do this as hoped). Or will I be forced to fill right after acid wash?

Update:

Was thinking… is there harm in waiting to fill until Saturday AM? Acid wash will be Friday AM. This would decrease the time spent without the pumps running (if it turns out I can’t do this as hoped). Or will I be forced to fill right after acid wash?
You don’t want new plaster to lose hydration in the AZ sun. You will get lots of shrinkage cracks in the plaster.