Dead Algae?

Most Yellow Treat type algaecides are Sodium Bromide. Makes your pool a Bromine pool and as such the FC will disappear as the chlorine is used to make the bromide into bromine. Bromine has no resistance to UV and it is consumed very rapidly in an outdoor pool.

Reactions: Carshell
You need to add what PM says for the 16 target you're trying to achieve. Wait 15 minutes and make sure you have the 16. If not add to it as per PM and then check again until it holds the 16 for more the the 15 minutes.......Rinse and repeat.
Ok so once I hit the initial target I should make sure it holds for 15 mins? Then I can wait and check it again later in the day/evening? Then adjust it? I understand the goal is to maintain that level through the process, but, unless I am testing every hour I am not sure that is possible. Certainly will fall below at night time while its killing algae or just in the sun. I read somewhere on here that the OCLT doesn't need to be done until FC falls to 10 or lower because at higher FC its hard to stay below the variance of 1 ppm. What about my automatic pool cover? Should I leave it open except for at night or when no one is home during SLAM?

That's why I always recommend starting a slam on a day your home so better attention can be given at the beginning of the slam. Early in slam it'll lose faster so every 2 hours would be great after the initial target was achieved.

Ok so once I hit the initial target I should make sure it holds for 15 mins? Then I can wait and check it again later in the day/evening? Then adjust it? I understand the goal is to maintain that level through the process, but, unless I am testing every hour I am not sure that is possible. Certainly will fall below at night time while its killing algae or just in the sun. I read somewhere on here that the OCLT doesn't need to be done until FC falls to 10 or lower because at higher FC its hard to stay below the variance of 1 ppm. What about my automatic pool cover? Should I leave it open except for at night or when no one is home during SLAM?
When it comes to OCLT,
You shouldn't lose more than 1ppm at night of FC even at higher FC levels. I believe what you read was that you shouldn't test PH while the FC is higher than 10PPM.

When it comes to OCLT,
You shouldn't lose more than 1ppm at night of FC even at higher FC levels. I believe what you read was that you shouldn't test PH while the FC is higher than 10PPM.
Oh ok. I thought I saw @mknauss mentioned not worrying too much about the OCLT until FC drops to around 10 ppm.

It can sometimes make sense to let the FC get below 20 ppm when attempting an OCLT. The error rate at elevated FC can make getting 1 ppm or less loss when testing difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.